For the love of Pete! Ozzy's med thread

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:56 am

Oh boy! Y'all made me smile.

I just got back from Dr. A. There is good news and bad news.

The eye was just some gunk build up. She removed it easily with a q-tip soaked in sterile solution (like contact lens rewetting drops). Eye looks perfect now.

Bad news is Ozzy has a HUGE stone in his bladder. His surgery was in December to remove the first one. This one is bigger. Not only can I not put him through surgery after surgery at his age, I can't afford it either.

If he was a 3 or 4 year old pig I would find a way to pay for it. But he's, at best guess, 6 or 7 years old. I have had him for almost 4 (in August it will be 4) years. He was no young pup when I got him.

I am going to make him as comfortable as I can for the rest of his days. This includes continuing the round of AB's only we've upped it to Baytril instead of SMZ. I am also going to begin doing sub-q's (yikes-this scares me).

And I will just keep an overly close eye on his comfort level. When I feel the time has come we will have him PTS.

I already told the lady at the vet's office she could have a lock of his hair when the time comes. She calls him her boyfriend. She was so excited to see him today, she was at the door to greet him!

I have a copy of the xrays she took today. Will post them soon-need to make coffee now.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 am

Oh crap!

Poor little guy.

So he had no symptoms of the new stone? Was it just caught on a routine xray?

Pinta posted a thread on Actigall used for dissolving stones. I wonder if this might be a good time to try it?

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ll#1237793

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:14 am

No, he had developed a nasty UTI last Friday. I took urine samples in, but not Ozzy. We started him on SMZ. Since I was bringing Russell back for a recheck today I asked if I could bring Ozzy as well, for the eye issue.

While we were there she wanted to check his urine again, since I said it still seemed pinkish after this many days on AB's, and then one thing led to another.

I will read Pinta's post now too. Thanks for that link.

crazycheryl

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:54 pm

I'm sorry to hear this, stf. Good luck to you and little Ozzy-man.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:55 pm

I'm sorry for the news StF. Hugs to you and Ozzy.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:05 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Minivue program? My vet gave me Ozzy's xrays on a CD and this is the program. I can not figure out how to transfer the pics to my hard drive or get them to photobucket.

I'm going to keep playing around while I wait for responses.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:06 pm

I'm thinking of you and Ozzy. I'm so sorry about his stone.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:16 pm

I'm so sorry that Ozzy has another stone.

It is good news that your vet was able to clean his eye easily.

When you view the x-ray picture from the CD, are you able to right-click on it and choose "Save Picture As" ?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:42 pm

No tracis, that was the first thing I tried. And it's saved with some weird extension so I can't even open it in any of my photo editing software.

I compressed the whole CD and sent the file to Lynx. Maybe she can figure it out.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Boooo. Booo!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:57 pm

Lynx is a miracle worker! Here are the pictures of Oz man's insides.

Now if she could just manage to get rid of this bugger for him, I would send her my undying gratitude and shower her with chocolates from now until the end of time!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:11 pm

Oh dear - that's a big old stone.

Remember you can give him a very large dose of Metacam with, apparently, no ill effects - if necessary.