Questions about my new paralyzed piggy...

klynne

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Bless you for helping this little pig girl.

Ditto to what has already been mentioned, on checking into steroid therapy and physical therapy to help her get what use she can, back.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:58 am

And perhaps calcium might help.

poppypiggy

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:15 am

Ditto salana - ther is a link to Peter Gurneys site on that, too:

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/paral.htm

roxdus

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:56 pm

We had a paralyzed piggie--Bacon. She lived for 4 years after her stroke and moved around just fine with only her front paws. Based upon my limited knowledge, her hind legs were always cold. My father is also paralyzed and his paralyzed arm is always colder as well--so I think it's just the lack off circulation. I would exercise Bacon's paws. Once a week I would put her in the tub in warm water and move them around in there. What amazed me even more, is that her roommate, Porkchop, would help to take care of her. In her final weeks, the other piggie would bring her treats, and veggies, since I think Bacon suffered another stroke and just couldn't get around anymore. But for those 4 years, she was just as happy as could be. She played with the other piggies and would really enjoy the trips to the backyard to munch on grass. Again, taking care of my paralyzed dad, I know that if I don't exercise his paralyzed side, it will start to hurt. I'm assuming the same is true for animals.

applebreeze

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:22 am

Annie is still doing well; she likes veggies alot! I'm gonna get around to reading all those links tomorrow since I don't have much time to be online today. I will definitely let you know what I think of them and how Annie does with all the suggestions-I wanted to try water therapy.

We're still having to express her bladder but she can poo and pee on her own-just not enough. She does still drink-allooot. Is this okay? Could it be because she's really thirsty, going into kidney failure, or because she only drinks when we offer her water a few times a day? (Her water hangs in her cage; I don't think she really notices it or she may not like the holder it's in (which I'll change soon enough).

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:07 pm

I suspect that Annie is drinking a lot since she only accesses the water bottle at certain times. My Evey does not have any known problems and drinks quite a bit of water... probably on the order of 4 oz a day on average...sometimes more...(which includes some spillage.) Sometimes a long drink, sometimes a few sips... but she has the ability to access the water freely

Hope Annie continues to improve.

applebreeze

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:13 am

Oh okay, that sounds good. I'll have to measure her water and see how much she's actually drinking...

pigsmakemesmile

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:12 am

I'm wondering if a poor diet could have a role in this. If she didn't have proper amount of nutrients, could it have affected her skeletal structure? Did she have any xrays to determine type of injury if any? If she was lacking a nutrient could she have developed maybe brittle bones and maybe suffered a fracture? I am so glad she is in your care. God bless you and little Annie. When I was looking to adopt a pig from a rescue, the one I had wanted was named Fabio. When I got there, they wouldn't let me adopt him because he became paralysed. I still wanted him and would have provided what ever care needed to get him back to health. I would of cared for him even if he didn't regain his mobility, I just wanted to give him a happy and comfortable life. The rescue told me it happened recently and he was ill with pneumonia, they didn't know why or how it happened. Anyhow, I adopted 2 other pigs from them and checked back just to see how Fabio was doing, they told me he had to be euthanized, I was so heart broken for him, I broke down and cried, it still hurts when I think about little Fabio. Good luck to you with Annie, keep us posted.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:24 pm

Proper nutrition, at any point in life but especially at the beginning, plays a big role. I don't think they get 'brittle bones' per se, but missing nutrients can cause a host of problems. It definitely can play a role.

amy m guinea

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:01 pm

Applebreeze, if she continues to drink alot you might want to consider having her urine tested. My sow was diagnosed with an UTI and her only symptom was increased water consumption. Perhaps being paralyzed would make UTI's more likely? I have no idea.

I just syringed some urine off the floor and the vet did a quick analysis. Just a thought. I'm so glad you have this sweet girl!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:48 pm

If she stays wet more, a UTI is much more likely. Moisture will encourage bacteria to grow.

amy m guinea

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:37 pm

That makes sense! Maybe she can't move out of her urine as easily.

applebreeze

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:59 am

She hasn't been drinking as much as she used to lately and we've been feeding her alfalfa hay since we think she's still quite young. She's improved alot; she's started to sort of use her back legs when she walks, pretty much just trying to push her self around/moving them with her.

Now her belly feels funny. Almost bloated-like. Kind of squishy, like it's almost filled with air, which I suppose it could be. Or could this just be her getting fat? (All my piggies do get a tendency to get fat *eek!*)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:16 am

Have you tried anything to improve mobility, like the Roxy Roller mentioned in the Reference forum?

I am thinking exercise would be extremely beneficial in toning muscles and moving gas.

klynne

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:17 pm

"Now her belly feels funny. Almost bloated-like. Kind of squishy, like it's almost filled with air, which I suppose it could be."

Does it feel "doughy"?

It could be a sign of tummy troubles and gas build-up.

Likely the result of too many carbs in the diet--I'd back off on the alfalfa hay, at least for now.

If she's getting good quality alfalfa based pellets, she doesn't really need the alfalfa hay, and it may not be something she can tolerate well.

Grass hay is way more important for them, and good quality grass hay has plenty of protein for their needs.

applebreeze

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:55 am

Her belly is normal now-she's started to fill out in the back a bit where she used to look sort of puny. And we've figured out she's got mites...she'll be going to the vet for that soon. I'll take a picture of her so you can see her improvement. I may take a video too, of the way she's been using her back legs. And she's back on timothy hay now.

And she's had a bit of water therapy which has seemed to help. She loves to run around on my bedroom floor too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Wonderful news.

A visit to a cavy-knowledgeable vet is always a good idea, but if you're sure about the mites, you can treat her yourself at much less cost:

http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

poppypiggy

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm

How good to hear she is improving! Glad the water therapy has helped her - I have only read about it, never seen it in "real life", so if you could post a video of Annie exercising in the water that would be really cool!

applebreeze

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:32 pm

I'll ask my sister if she can get the video-she does the water therapy when I'm not at home, hehe (I actually think that she hasn't done it for a weke or two now)-so I've actually never seen it either.

She went to the vet today and got a shot of Ivermectin for the mites. They discovered that she also has ringworm too, so she'll be getting a dose of something for that next week.

She's gotten SO much better at walking-her back feet are almost under her when she walks. I can't wait to post a video...I have to buy some batteries for my camera first though! I'm so proud of her. Ha-when we first got her, the vet said that she may develop a URI and die within a few days, but I knew that Annie would make it-after living for a month paralyzed, I knew she was strong-and she is!!!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:55 pm

And she's had a bit of water therapy which has seemed to help. She loves to run around on my bedroom floor too.
Wow, I learn something new everyday! :)
So happy the therapy is working for her.

52 posts