Peaches

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:07 am

GP I'm sorry. Why do these things always happen at inconvenient times?

Sounds as though Lynx is giving good advice and I remember piggys who have had strokes and done well afterwards, but not who. Perhaps Tracis can work her magic and find some references.

Please be well Peaches. So many of us love you and send you good vibes.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:11 am

Sending good thoughts for you and Peaches. Do any of your friends have transportation you could borrow to take her to the vet?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:25 am

We have an 11:40 appointment with a vet recommended by our vet and by Judi. They asked for a fecal sample and for her records. Peaches has now briefly walked and is producing solid poops. She is eating lettuce on her own and drinking from the water bottle.

She is still very cold to the touch and overall not mobile. This is not Peaches as we know her but she is much improved from last night. (there are traces of the Peaches we know-we have her on a fleece with two pigloos and Herb and she has walked in between the two of them for seemingly no reason. Kermie, today's choice is blue.)

New medical question.

Peaches has had a reoccurring staph infection in her ears since she came to us over a year ago, and has been prescribed various meds for them. Currently she is on Baytril drops. Is it possible some neurological damage has been done?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:30 am

I'm no expert but it seems to me that could very well have played a part in what just happened. Please, please keep us updated.

xguineaxpigx

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:47 am

Hi, thanks for all the help. Question: before we take her to the vet should we be giving her her regular medication (Metronidazole and Cosequin)?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:50 am

If they're not a timed med e.g. every X hours, I'd probably hold off 'till after the visit especially the Cosequin. I think that can be administered anytime during the day.

Topaz

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:53 am

Sending good thoughts for sweet Peaches.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:24 am

I tried to search for information on strokes for you but didn’t have much luck. I did find this note from Talishan in another thread:

“They can recover from a stroke themselves, with time and good care. Try not to startle her, and keep her in a place that's relatively quiet and not brightly lit. Her senses and perceptions aren't right right now, and she knows it.”

Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts your way.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:46 am

Sending good thoughts and hugs to you & Peaches.

Here are some links I found about strokes:

Sonia's Tizzy

Saveacavy's pig

Becky456's Betty

Valerie711's Phoebe

Jessibud's pig

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:27 pm

How is Peaches? How was her vet visit?

xguineaxpigx

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi! Thanks so much for all the help, support and advice. I'm exhausted so sorry if this comes across as terse or has any lapses of cogency, or anything of that nature.

We were very very fortunate in that the vet we saw, Dr. Weiss was very cavy-savvy and very friendly, as well. He examined her, looked at the charts that our vet faxed over, got her history from us and told us that there were three possibilities: heart issues, a stroke or an inner-ear infection. He ruled out heart from his exam and with her history of ear infections decided that that was the culprit. He confirmed that with the cytology exam of her ear. He gave us Baytril Otic and told us to make sure she is getting lots of fluids and Critical Care. He said that she may have some highs and lows over the next couple of days but should recover and to call if anything were to arise.

She is back home, separated from her cagemate Sophie and is eating CC, lettuce, drinking from the water bottle, and is doing soo much better from last night. She seems more lethargic than usual but is getting better throughout the day.

Thanks once again.

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Go, Peaches!