new pig does not like veggies!

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:01 am

I don't think he is eating too much of his bedding, he appears to nibble on it. He is doing well with his pellets. I am happy that he is eating again. Any amount he eats on his own is better than what he was doing. His weight has steadily gone up since he has been home. In 1 1/2 days he has gained over an ounce. As long as he gains something, I am happy. He hasn't reached "true piggy eating" yet, but I am confident he will get there soon. He is looking and doing great! He is sitting here with me watching me type this. He says hi to everyone and thanks for all the well wishes! We will keep you updated. When he came home his weight was 1lb 15 3/4 oz (Wed. night) and this morning he is 2lbs 7/8 oz! According to my digital kitchen scale. Not bad for only 1 1/2 days, huh? Oh, and no syringe feeding at all. He has done this all on his own!!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:34 am

Good news about Junior. Keep up the good work little man.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:26 pm

Junior update- He is doing well! Weight is fluctuating a bit, less than 1 oz. I worry, but not too much at this point. He is eating well for him, but still has a way to go to get to "true piggy eating". He seems very happy, coo's some(purrs). He is starting to realize that lettuce is really good, and is eating more than just a nibble. So far, that is the only vegetable he will eat right now. Every day he is getting better and making progress. He has decided his timothy hay is pretty yummy, too!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:35 pm

"Weight is fluctuating a bit, less than 1 oz."

This is not a cause for concern. Dropping an ounce or more with no upward fluctuation may be an indicator of a problem, but going up or down 20 grams or so isn't cause for worry, as long as the ups more or less balance out the downs.

We had an adult female whose weight would fluctuate 100 grams or more (yes, 100 g, that's not a typo) in 2 weeks' time, either up or down. After hitting the panic button more than once, I realized that's just how she was.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:15 am

tiggyswift: have you tried to *sprinkle* a bit of watermelon juice on one lettuce leaf? Might be a nice trick to make him taste something else?:)
I can relate to what you are going through. When I got my two first pigs, none would want any veggies. Not even vitamin c. it was driving me insane then one member here suggested watermelon and BINGO, they began to eat something else than their usual pellets.
I do think some piggies are a bit like children too: picky sometimes;) keep offering: one day they refuse a veggie, the other they accept it!

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:14 am

I would like to see him back to where he was (2lb 5 1/2 oz) when I first weighed him 2 days after we brought him home. Maybe in time, he will get there. He is eating all on his own, which is great! He isn't begging or wheeking for food yet, but in time, I think he will. I know a slight fluctuation is normal, so as long as he maintains his weight (2lb 3/8oz - 916g), I am happy. I have yet to find out his approximate age. He looks great, and is peeing/pooping as a pig should. I tried watermelon, and he does not like it as of yet. He will eat lettuce, but so far, that is it. We will keep offering him a variety, and I am sure in time, he will figure out that all veggies are delicious! I think that will happen when he joins Elmo. Elmo loves everything (He is slightly over 3lbs!), so I think Junior will follow in his footsteps(I hope). He does nose around in his bowl to see what is there, pushes everything else aside, and goes for the lettuce which we put at the bottom. This way, he has to smell everything else first.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:22 pm

That's a very good idea. Also, Elmo will in all likelihood show Junior how and what to eat.

Good news. I hope he continues to improve and gain weight.

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:15 pm

He goes to the vet on Friday for one more f/u and ivermectin dose, and hopefully he won't have to go back for a while. I tried putting vitamin C (oxbow) on his lettuce, but he would not touch it. I have crushed it and mixed it with water to syringe to him, but he hates it that way, too. He is eating, but not enough yet to get the correct amount of vitamin C, I don't think. Any idea's on how to sneak it to him? I think his eating will improve after he joins Elmo.
I will ask the vet on Friday when it should be safe to do this. I think after his treatment(3rd), he should be completely rid of any mites or lice. Thanks for all the help! You guys saved his life! He is the sweetest little pig, and he realizes that hoomans aren't so scary after all! He loves to cuddle!

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:26 pm

This morning Junior tried parsley for the first time, and loved it! He is also increasing his pellet and hay intake, and has finally reached 2lb 1oz! I think this is the start of his weight gain, as he was just maintaining before. I think he is doing great! I am so relieved that he has made it through this! I love sitting next to his cage and watching him eat! It doesn't seem loke he was ever sick at all! He still loves to suckle, which I think is absolutely adorable! He closes his eyes and looks so relaxed and content! I am so glad I went back and got him! We were meant to have him, regardless of where he came from. I think he and Elmo will become good friends, soon, too. I can't wait to see them together!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:30 pm

I'm so glad to hear that Junior is doing well. Parsley's good. I think it is fairly high in Vit C. You'd have to go check the veggie chart in the care guide.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:56 pm

Yes, it is high in vitamin C. I have a printout of the chart and refer to it often. It is also high in calcium, so I don't give too much of it. Only 1 or 2 pieces a day. I am not sure if more would be too much calcium or not. I offer bell peppers, carrots, kale sometimes, and lettuces(romaine and greenleaf). I am sure before long, he will try something else.I also offer other veggies from the chart, but those are the main ones. I am ECSTATIC he is doing so well! I wasn't sure he was going to make it before his hospital stay, but when he came home, I was sure he would! He was a whole new pig after that!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:14 pm

"I offer bell peppers, carrots, kale sometimes, and lettuces(romaine and greenleaf)."

This plus some parsley => plenty of C. Don't sweat the Oxbow tablets right now. He's doing well on C.