new pig does not like veggies!

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:23 pm

I won't get the powder! Don't vet's carry the Advantage? I'd rather buy it tomorrow instead of ordering it online. I can probably get a single dose (for a cat) if I only need 4 drops all together or about that, 1 vial should be enough, right?

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:08 pm

I told my vet that I can't find the powder, and he agreed to give me the advantage. I am going to get it tomorrow.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:46 pm

Sounds good. (I answered your email, btw. If you want, you have permission to post it on here.)

Make sure you get plain Advantage (imidacloprid) only. No extra, Plus, Enhanced, nothing added.

The chemical in all the tubes is the same, so if it were me I'd get the cat tubes. They're slightly cheaper by weight than the kitten tubes, in that they're just larger. It's all the same stuff.

The kitten tubes have about 7 drops in them, so you'll be short one drop if you treat both Junior and Elmo twice.

I treat twice because I am anal. Bayer says Advantage is good for 30 days. The life cycle of the guinea pig louse is 28 days. If Bayer's advertising is off by just three days, then poof, you have a new set of eggs hatching (Advantage does not kill the eggs, just the hatched lice) and you start all over again.

I've had animal control supervisors tell me Sevin dust is perfectly safe, too. I suspect they feel that way because they have used so much of it, for so long ... on dogs and cats ... that they feel familiar with it.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:37 am

So I should treat the 2nd time in 3 weeks? Right now, all he has are eggs, that we can see. We do not see any live ones right now. If I do treat both, can they start being together, or should I wait? I probably don't need to treat Elmo, as he never had any signs and was treated with Ivermectin already. I am just impatient to put them together. I can probably get 2 tubes from the vet, so I won't be short any. Talishan, I haven't read your email yet. I will as soon as I post this. Thanks! I was panicking over that powder!

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:06 am

I got the Advantage, but it is the kitten stuff. That should be fine, right? I got 2 tubes, which should be enough, I hope. Their first treatment is already done. If he only has eggs right now, the 2nd treatment will take care of that when they hatch? I I just want to make sure I kill the suckers for good!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:55 pm

"If he only has eggs right now, the 2nd treatment will take care of that when they hatch?"

Yup, that's the idea.

Intros, folks!! :-) The solid black one is Junior.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:13 pm

Thanks Talishan, for posting my pictures.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:15 pm

Awe, they are adorable but I'm partial to b/w piggys.

Great news Junior is doing so well.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks! Junior looks like my baby Licorice I lost in November. That is how he got his name. That is why I had to get him. I fell in love with him immediately! I love them all though, and think all piggies are adorable!

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Junior has become a vivacious veggie eater! He now waits by where his dish goes, and starts grabbing as soon as he can reach it! I love to watch him eat! He tries new things now, so he is eating a variety of things, now. He won't eat green pepper yet, but he has tasted it a few times. He tastes something first, 1 or 2 bites for a while, and then he decides he likes it and eats it. I love watching how fast he chews now! His little jaw really moves! He and Elmo are playing together every day during floor time, and really enjoying themselves. They are even "sharing" snacks while they are together, and running through their tunnels, and chasing each other around. I really enjoy watching them play!

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:03 pm

Great news! Junior has graduated to being a "true piggy"! He eats many veggies now, and actually wheeks for them now!!!! He has a real cute wheeker! He also devours his oxbow timothy hay! He has one small problem, though. I have been trying to switch his pellets from the Kaytee Supreme fortified daily blend(alfalfa based), to the Kaytee timothy complete, and he isn't going for it. I already tried the oxbow cavy cuisine, with no success. He sure is stubborn about this! What do I do now? I don't want to keep him on the alfalfa pellets much longer. Any idea's? He is doing so well other than this! He is now gaining back the weight he lost when he was sick, and looks great! Thanks for any advice!

Topaz

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:26 pm

When changing over my girls, I gradually mixed the good pellets in with the ones they were used to, more and more each day. They definitely picked the not so good ones out first, because that's what they were used to. But then, as the crappy pellets got less and less, they'd have to eat some of the oxbow pellets as well. By the end of about a week or so, I switched them over to the better pellets completely and they began eating them no problem.