new pig does not like veggies!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:51 am

I don't think the water would make a difference. Good luck getting him to eat more.

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:02 pm

I didn't think so either, Lynx. That was the only change I made, so I thought I would mention it. I gave him tap water again, to see if it would help. He is doing better today. He is eating all on his own again. Maybe the one syringe feed encouraged him to do so. He really hates it! He ate almost all of his lettuce and parlsey overnight, and some hay and pellets, too. I am not sure why he relapsed like that, but I am glad he is doing better today!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:38 pm

Good thoughts for Junior!

Earlier this year, I started a "Food Diary" for one of my girls. She was not only sensitive to certain foods, but it turned out that she needed portion control as well.

The Food Diary helped me track down what she can tolerate, and how much she is allowed to eat at a time. For instance, she can have 1 or 2 small grape tomatoes, but 3 of them will make her uncomfortable to the point where she won't want to eat later in the day.

I hope this will give you some ideas.

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:21 pm

He only eats romaine and green leaf lettuces, and a small amount of parsley for veggies, so far, besides his pellets and hay. I actually do keep track of what he gets and how much he eats already. I will have my vet check him over again and see if he can find anything. He ate some this morning, which is good, and his weight is stable. I will update his progress later. Thanks for the advice.

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Well, we just got back from the vet an hour or so ago. No findings again on physical exam. He has dropped a tiny bit in weight, vet said not enough at this point to worry about, just monitor closely. If his eating continues to decline he will need to go back in, but for now I need to keep track of his eating and supplement critical care as necessary. So far he has not eaten this afternoon. He did eat some this morning and overnight. Hopefully he will eat soon or we will be back to syringe feeding later tonight. Keep your fingers crossed! Oh, he is 6months-1yr old, we think. It is harder to tell as they become adults, I guess.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:03 am

Relapse is over! He is doing well again! Weight is back up this morning, and he did well eating overnight! I don't know what happened, but whatever is was seems to have passed! Yeah for Junior!!!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:33 am

That is such good news! You've taken such good care of him. It's so good to see someone go through all this and have a happy outcome. Yay for Junior.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:36 pm

I think of my animals as children, and do my best to care for them!
It can be hard sometimes, and there isn't always a happy ending, but this time I think there will be! I know to expect some setbacks, but he is definitely a fighter! I know I made mistakes along the way, but have corrected them, and am happy with the outcome! I think he will make a 100% recovery, and be a happy boy! He has another f/u in 9 days (1/7), and hopefully we will be able to introduce him to Elmo after that. I think from that point on, it will be smooth sailing! Thanks for all the encouragement! It sure has helped me alot! It really helped me get through a tough time!

rpaws

Post   » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Yeah for Junior. Please let us know how the Junior and Elmo meeting goes.

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:08 am

I sure will! Junior is doing great! We had company over the weekend(my stepdaughter and her husband), and I thought he would hide the whole time, but I was wrong. He loves the action! We played a game at the dining room table(the cages are in the dining room, which is the center of everything) and he sat there the whole time, watching us and munching! It got quite loud at times(the game was on tv, too). They are Patriot fans. He was quite content taking all the action in! He has one more f/u with the vet to make sure all the nasty bugs are gone, (1/7), and if they are, the introductions can begin! Thanks again for all the help! We couldn't have made it without you guys!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:18 pm

If he survived a room full of Patriot fans during that game, he can survive **anything**. ;-)

Wonderful news. Keep us posted.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:09 pm

He is definitely a surviver! He is doing great! Maintaining his weight on his own, not gaining, though. I think he will gain when he joins Elmo. Now that he is better, I am persuing the pet store to pay for his vet bills. I have called customer relations and spoke my mind several times and told them I expect to be compensated for their vet's lack of knowledge and misdiagnosis. He was officially diagnosed with GI upset(he probably already had this at the store),which was compounded by the stress of the move. He developed an Ileous, because no food was moving through his system. The force feedings pushed things along, got his system moving again, which made the Ileous go away. It was NOT constipation, like they told me it was. STUPID STORE!!