new pig does not like veggies!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:48 pm

"but he has learned to hold his own."

They should be fine. :-)

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Junior moved in with Elmo about half an hour ago. So far, so good! They have not had any squabbles yet, and both appear happy! Everything was washed thoroughly and the whole cage was rearranged to make it different. Thanks Talishan, for the move in advice. I am trying to mix more of the good pellets in, and will weigh both daily for a while to be sure they are both eating enough.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Good luck to them and to you! Keep us posted. I don't wanna see no bite wound threads, now, hear? ;-)

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:36 pm

I have already gone down the rule list with them, and no biting is #1 on the list! Let's hope they follow the rules! He He!!!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:44 am

They are both very handsome boys. :)

I'm so happy that they have become friends. Yay for happiness!

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:14 pm

Both boys are doing well together, although they do have squabbles sometimes. Elmo is definitely the dominant one! I have totally switched their pellets to Oxbow now. I mixed it for a while, but they were picking the crappy ones out to eat, so I switched it a bit more quickly than I had originally planned. They do just fine with it and love the oxbow hay!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Good to hear they are both doing well.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:19 am

Talishan, here is my bite thread! Unfortunately, Elmo and Junior had to be separated due to severe fighting today! I have never seen anything like this before! They were rolling and fighting really bad, and Elmo gave me a nasty bite when I tried to separate them. He broke the skin in several places on my arm, and boy, does it hurt like heck! I thought I was going to need stitches at first. I have only been on this site and forum for about 2 months, and realize there is so much I didn't know was important like adequate cage space. I am ashamed to admit they were in a cage that is too small. They have been ok before this, although they squabbled sometimes. Should I put them together during floor time? I am ordering a C & C cage (XLG) as soon as my husbands retirement check comes, which should be today or tomorrow, and will get the stools and plan to bed them on fleece I think. I am getting extra grids in case I have to divide the cage, but I hope I don't have too. Has this happened to anyone else, and was the reintroduction in a larger cage successful?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:32 pm

So sorry that the boys have started fighting. A bigger cage is a great idea.

I probably would not put them together for floor time until they were ready to go into the new cage together. They will just need to re-establish dominance over and over again, and this can be very stressful for the humans and the pigs.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Ditto Tracis.

When the cage gets there, wash everything, rearrange everything, etc. etc. etc. just like before so both think it's a new home.

This might be helpful, too:

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Long article, but well worth the read:

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Do I need to do floor time intro's again, or can they just go in the cage once it is set up? I ended up going to the ER because my arm swelled up and is very painful. It is infected already! Thanks for the advice and links.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:28 pm

Just go in the cage once it's set up. Give them some time, though. I'm concerned that the fight is still fresh in their minds, so to speak, and if the cage arrives in the next few days, that may be too soon. They need a break from each other and from their own reactions, if that makes any sense.

You take care of yourself, too. Infected pigs is bad enough. Infected you we do not need! ;-) Did they give you some AB at the ER?