new pig does not like veggies!

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:34 pm

You might want to consider syringe feeding canned pumpkin...not as ideal as CC but it's got lots of fiber and it's healthy for pigs. Mine hate the CC, but will readily take the pumpkin so I fall back on it when we absolutely need it.

Too bad about the bugs. When we adopted Panda, he was miserably shy. I jumped the gun and put him in with a companion a lot sooner than I should have, but it got him eating and moving around. Maybe you could put them in the same room so Junior would know he's got species-company nearby?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:37 am

More good thoughts for Junior. I hope he does well at the vet on Monday.

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:08 am

I will try the pumkin. I do put pellets in his pigloo, he just won't eat them, and does not have any interest in them. Thanks for the well wishes. He really needs them right now! Could the lice make him lose his appetite?

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:09 pm

Junior is at the vet, and will be spending at least a few days there to see if they can entice him to eat on his own. Again, no apparent findings apon physical exam, teeth normal, no sores in his mouth, no bloat, etc. Also, his weight was the same as last week, so maybe my scale is off slightly. It's possible he has an upset stomach for whatever reason, and they will treat for that if they determine that is the cause. He is pooping, but not as he should be. I saved every poop he did from his last appt. to today to show them. He does still have lice, they are continuing treatment there, and Elmo went today for treatmrnt as well. I am taking NO chances
with him. I probably won't know anything until sometime tomorrow, so I will update then. They have a great tech. who is wonderful with nursing Guinea Pigs back to health, so hopefully he will be home with a hearty appetite in a few days. If anyone can help him, it is them. He is in the best place he can be right now, and this will help alleviate my anxiety and stress over him for a bit.
It was almost impossible to force feed, and took me at least an hour to 1 1/2 hours per feeding, plus I have slept at the most 3 hours per night. I have been crying my eyes out over him, too. Hopefully, he will recover rapidly. One more thing, do guinea pigs suckle at all? I swear he was suckling my arm last night, and the exam table at the vet's today. Sorry so long, alot to say.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:19 pm

I wish you the best. I know this has to be very hard for you both.

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks Lynx, for your well wishes. This has probably been a lot rougher on him than it has been on me. I absloutely hate to see an animal suffering, it tears my heart out! I sure hope they can make him well again and he can come home soon. We havn't had him long, but already I am attached and love him dearly. Do guinea pigs weaned too early suckle at all? He was doing that on my arm last night. I will let you know how he is doing as soon as I know something. I sure do miss him! I have learned a very valuable lesson through all of this, and will definitely wait for one to become available at a local shelter next time I am looking for a guinea pig. I don't believe there are any rescues in my area. I had been looking for weeks, and poor Elmo was so depressed, I made a poor decision.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:34 pm

Most petstore pigs are yanked from their mothers so early, he may indeed be trying to suckle. While they don't "need" mother's milk past the first few days, if they can get it, they'll try to do so for at least a few weeks thereafter.

If it's any comfort (which it's probably not), he doesn't physiologically need mother's milk now.

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:17 pm

That's what I thought. He is definitely too old to need his mother's milk, but maybe it is a source of comfort for him or something.It was the weirdest feeling! The only thing that will make me feel better is him eating all on his own and being healthy enough to eventually be put in with Elmo. I am praying for him. I have to admit I am releived to not have to feed him for the next few days. It is so hard to force even the smallest animal that does not want to eat. I just hope they can save him.

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:40 pm

Update on Junior- I spoke to the vet earlier, and he told me that this morning he ate some on his own, but his appetite dropped off again in the afternoon and he needed to be syringe fed again. They are going to keep him at least through tomorrow and see if he improves more tomorrow. I guess he is actually behaving for the feedings, the brat! I will update tomorrow after I talk to the vet.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Junior is home!!!! Yea!!! We have been home for about 15 minutes, and so far he has been a new pig! He is very curious, investigating every inch of his cage, and eating his hay. He has smelled his pellets, but has yet to eat them. He ate all day today without needing syringe feeding. Yesterday he needed 1 syringe feed. He seems to be feeling better, which is great! They still can't find anything physically wrong with him. I will update his progress later. I am very optimistic he will do well from now on!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:35 pm

Good news! Keep it up (both of you! :-)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:50 pm

What great news! Horray! Keep up the good work.