new pig does not like veggies!

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:05 pm

I just got a new piggie, age unknown(young to young adult maybe?). He is extremely skittish, I don't think he was handled much, if at all. We have had him for 4 days now, and he is currently quarentined from my other piggie. He spends all his time in his house, and does eat pellets and grass(only minimal though), and will not touch any veggies! He has taken a few bites of carrot, and that is about it. We have tried coaxing him, also taking his house out for a short time to encourage him to eat, and this does help a bit, but not as much as I would like. Any suggestions as to what to try next? Thanks!

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:21 pm

A lot of pigs eat veggies for the first time because they see another pig do it first. I've gotten quarantined piggies to eat veggies by being at face level and taking a small nibble out of a pepper or something. What veggies have you tried so far?

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:35 pm

I have tried red leaf, green leaf and romaine lettuces, carrot, parsley, green bell peppers. These have all been well liked by my previous piggies. He is just getting used to being handled for short periods, and freaks out some when he sees a hand approaching his face, even slowly, and turns his head, or runs. It will be at least 2 1/2 - 3 weeks before he will join Elmo. I don't think he ever had them before, coming from a petstore.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:39 pm

Time. That's all the advice I have. Time in a quiet place. Spend time near him but not necessarily forcing him to be with you. Hover your hand in the cage so he can smell and explore you without feeling threatened. Leave the veggies for a few hours in quiet every day so he can get used to them too. That kind of thing.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:48 pm

Well, I guess another suggestion (though rshevin's is the best one), would be to try veggies that don't wilt quickly, so you could leave them in there for a while for him to explore them.

I don't think (can someone confirm this?) that not eating veggies will be urgent for a short term period if he's eating pellets. Obviously it would be preferable, but I don't think he'll be really deprived of nutrients.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 pm

He eats pellets and grass, but very minimally. He likes the wheat pieces in the grass the best. I think he has made progress socially, though. He did eat half a piece of parsley by hand a little while ago, so this is great for him! I wish he was better with the pellets, though. Thanks for the advise. I will try everything suggested.

HerbavsMommy

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:06 pm

Same situation here. My current cavy (Herbva) flipped the veggies over and played around in them. -Quite silly actually- After a week or so of regularly putting the veggies in his cage he peered over the bowl smelled them and quickly dragged a pea in his pigloo and munched away! Now he finds veggie irresistable. Just be consistent and he'll love 'em!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:45 am

Most pet store or breeder pigs don't know veggies are food. It's cheaper for them to feed just pellets, and rarely hay. He'll likely get the hang of it when he sees your other pig eating it after they are introduced.

Provide a high quality pellet and you may want to supplement vit c in the meantime.

CavyGal6680

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:32 am

Maybe if you offer it more often your piggy may get used to it more, so just keep trying and be patient!

I started by offering the veggies mine liked and then adding to that a bit, and she seemed to try the veggies a little at a time. I am doing that now as I type, though, so we shall see the results!

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:06 am

Thanks for the tips! I will keep trying. He doesn't seem to be eating his pellets or hay much, if at all. I have tried several different brands, and he snubs them all, so far. I think he eats a few, but that is it. He has to at least eat that, or he will get sick. He has lost about 2 oz. in the last few days. I will buy another kind today, and see what happens.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:14 am

Continue to weigh him. Weight loss can also indicate illness. Watch how he eats and look for any other signs of problems. If he loses any more, I would start hand feeding and see a vet.

PaisCashGingGang

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:26 am

I keep seeing you type "grass" but are you offering Timothy hay as well?