new pig does not like veggies!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:21 pm

"2X5 grid I think?"

If they don't get along in a 2x5, they probably won't get along in much of anything. Dividing a 2x5 down the middle gives you a 2 x 2 1/2, which technically isn't adequate for an adult pig, but we have a couple of ours in 2 x 2 1/2's because they don't get along with others (and/or I don't have a vet I trust to spay or neuter).

They have done fine, but laps are difficult. A 2x3 is better for a single; he or she can run full-out laps in a 2x3.

If it were me I'd give them quite a while to forget about each other, and the fight they had, before trying again. Also read Cavy Spirit's Introductions article about buddy baths, etc.

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:20 pm

I am not very creative, or I should say I am not creative at all, or I would try to build one myself. I have ordered a 13.3 sq ft cage for them, and will try to do something extra with that, if I can. I am hoping that will be big enough for the 2 of them, and hopefully space is the only issue they had. If this does not work, I will have to think of something, but I was hoping it would be big enough. Drat!!!!!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:53 pm

"I have ordered a 13.3 sq ft cage for them"

2x5? For two? Should be fine. Worry not. Yet, anyway.

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:34 pm

I was hoping it would be ok. I have read 10.5 sq ft is preferred for 2 pigs, so I got the largest one I could order. Hopefully, they will get along and I won't have to separate them. Is there a chance they will get along after their nasty fight? How long should keep them separated? I should have the cage next week sometime, but have a lot of rearranging to do to accommodate the larger cage. I have both a family room and living room, so we are moving them to the living room. They do miss one another, I think. They are side by side again, and talk to one another sometimes. Thanks for the advice. I want to get it right, this time!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:48 pm

If it were me I'd keep them separated until you have the new cage, all set up, in the room you want them to be in.

I think they can get along after their nasty fight, but the more time and space that passes, the better. A buddy bath might be really helpful here.

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:18 pm

Should I do the buddy bath before they go in the new cage? We will probably won't have everything set up for at least another week, or maybe 2. That will be 2-3 weeks apart. Should I wait longer, or is that ok? I am also changing bedding to fleece at the same time. I hope they like that, too!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:32 pm

Read http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

and

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

all the way through when you have time.

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but if it were me I'd keep them apart the whole 2-3 weeks. Then, do a buddy bath. Then, while they are still somewhat damp (keep them warm!) and still a little freaked, plop them in the new cage, all fixed up and completely different from what they had.

MO only. Hopefully some of the folks who have more experience with this than me will see this and contribute.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Not sure if I should continue this here or start a new thread in chat.
If I am wrong posting this here, someone tell me please, and I will repost it. Thanks!

Junior and Elmo have been separated since their fight 2 weeks ago.
Since then, I have purchased a 2x5 cavy cage and have been working on setting it up. I need to get something to support the top, so my cats don't jump on it and cave it in. They should be moved into their new home sometime tomorrow. I am both excited and nervous at the same! Keep all paws crossed that they get along this time!

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Probably better discussed in Cavy Chat, IMHO. Nevertheless, I hope it goes better for you with the larger CC.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:48 pm

I wasn't sure, thanks. I will repost it in chat.

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Just thought I'd pull this up and update on Junior. He has been doing great since I last posted! He eats like a true pig, and has had no more problems. I have not been keeping up on weighing him regularly
the past few months, I have had some medical issues of my own to deal with. So today, I decided to weigh everybody as I was cleaning cages. He weighed in at a HEFTY 1558 grams! I am in total shock! He is now my heaviest pig. Elmo comes in 2nd, weighing 1528 grams.
Is this too much? He is very active and gets around well with no problem. He is happy and often zooms and popcorns around his cage.
Should I worry? When he was sick, his weight dropped to 1lb 14oz. This was back in January.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Sorry for the troubles you've had yourself. Personally I wouldn't worry about Junior. He sounds like a very happy healthy piggie!