HELP ME!- all six of them have this!

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:24 am

Vet thinks it is mites but still agreed to take skin, culture sample to test for ringworm.
I wonder if it would not go faster if ivermectin was given in injection?????
Bethie, I will phone the vet tomorrow morning....well in a few hours. See if she can see me. Usually she accepts me rather quickly.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:27 am

Sending you some sympathy for those poor babies. It looks so uncomfortable.

Would it help to give them some metacam for the pain and discomfort?

Topaz

Post   » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:37 am

I'm so sorry 1aicha! This must be so frustrating for you. I hope you see some improvement very very soon. *fingers crossed*

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:51 am

Ouchie! You and your poor pigs. Sending good healing vibes your way. I look forward to hearing what the vet says.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:02 pm

Well this vet is less used to exotic pets..so she will wait for MY regular vet to be in and most probably will phone an exotic vet in Montreal.
The wounds are looking clean, crusts are even falling. My main concern is all that hair loss !!! it is like piggies on chemic therapy!!!
I had brought with me the most hairless pigs for the exam. She looked again with that infra light, took a look at the sample I had gave last week : nothing growing. She also said most certainly not ringworm.
It is a fungal though, she is afraid for my dog and cats. I try to make sure they don,t come too close but I can't monitor them all the time.
Too, my baby cat who just had surgery ( neutered and declawed front paws) passed some blood in his almost liquid stools so oh! Joy! Taking a sample to check for parasites and bought deworming for every cat and dog..........
I am tired....... Can you tell?
To scare me more, a friend found this page for me:
http://www.radil.missouri.edu/info/para/Ectoparasites/

Topaz

Post   » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:29 pm

Still crossing fingers for improvement here.

Your kitten was declawed? That makes me sad. :(

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:22 pm

Topaz: only the front paws. I do like to keep my curtains and furniture in a presentable way:)
The cats I kept *intact* destroyed too many things in my home.
As I am not rich enough to replace everything they could damage, the choice is easily done.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:58 pm

Third Ivermectin treatment today plus Nizoral bath.
Nougat goes better, the small ones ( Neige, Booboo and Charlotte) seems to have it mildly and there is , for now, about no hair loss,well not more than the regular lil bit here and there.
Vanille wounds heal nicely. not better but not worse. Caramel is almost hairless but seems to be stable. The big Meisie seems to be more..how can I saw...quiet?
She retreats in a corner and sleeps a lot. she does eat and drink. So I guess I should not worry too much?. Tonight will cream them again. I give them treats after because by now, they must think I am a nutcase!

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Nobody popcorns anymore. They sleep a lot.
Skin seems to heal on most of the pigs although there is a lot of scratching. I do ma routine of one Nizoral bath per week, cream with either monistat or timectib each day and ivermectin treatment. plus chlorode..forgot the name..once in a while ( this was prescribe for the pain).
My vet had to order the griseofulvin: they had none here. I am waiting for the meds to arrive.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:57 pm

I didn't read the whole thread but is there a reason you aren't doing program?

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:17 pm

well isn't it what griseofulvin is?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:49 pm

No, it is not. They are two different medications. Program (leuphenuron?) is much better tolerated.