HELP ME!- all six of them have this!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:13 pm

Even if it is ringworms, like Mum said it will take a few days for the culture to confirm its presence.
I will start taking all the precautions now, like wear protective clothing and latex gloves when handling them and have the kids and other pets stay away to prevent contact.

klynne

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:05 pm

Yes, ditch the wooden hidey. I'd also do a good cage cleaning, with a bleach solution--then rinse very well, and dry everything, before returning the pigs to the area.

Good luck with the vet visit.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:05 pm

The easiest way to determine if its ringworm at any stage is to shine a black light on it . If it glows a greenish yellow then it is indeed ringworm .

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:36 pm

That test is not always accurate.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Was at the vet earlier. she took a culture. she tried the glowing light but could not see anything but like she said, it is accurate only one time out of two.has to let it grow ( the culture) for ten days but already she said to act as if it would be ringworm. I passed the whole day, really, the whole day washing/bathing, creaming, disinfecting, trowing away wood toys, huts, branches...I am exhausted..still have some laundry to finish ( their towels and flee blankies)
I need a glass of wine..maybe two...........
Now, when should I begin that all cycle again? In a week?
monistat cream: the vet said to apply it once a day.
Vanille's infection is growing terribly rapidly. the whole top of her head is naked and bleeding now. I feel for her!!! She looks like a piggy who has been mistreated!!!!!!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:40 pm

Monistat does nothing for ringworm. You need the oral cat Program.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:29 pm

Have to wait for the cultures for that. Vet doesn't want to give it in prevention.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:36 pm

It is not harmful if dosed on a "not ringworm infected" cavy I believe.
In the meantime, take all preventative measures for you, children and other pets in the house.
Try to make Vanille as comfy as possible, did she get some pain relief from the vet?
I have recently found out that pain can make them stop eating their pellets rather abruptly, and then they get weak really quick in this cold weather.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:45 pm

I would - at this stage suggest you call your vet and strongly urge her to reconsider.

Program is pretty benign. I'm betting she's considering a different medication.

It will take at least 10 days to get any results from the culture. Vets don't usually make you wait for the results given the issues associated with ringworm.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:37 pm

No, vet did not give pain meds. What can I give her???
here I have tylenol, aspirins, ibuprofen.
She cried out in pain about half an hour ago. she scratched her head and opened her wounds bleeding a lot. I re-creamed her with monistat and put a bandage ( gauze) over it. she is trying to take it off but so far it holds on. This is a nightmare......

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:39 pm

The only pain med I know is metacam...
I am so sorry, I know you must feel so helpless and frustrated now.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:06 pm

and forget it, the tape doesn't hold..... I am at lost.