Gracie - Very Sore Eye

Trick

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:36 am

I've read over the eye page but I'd appreciate any insight. I'm thinking it's Inflamed Conjunctiva? This is what Gracie's eye looks like right now:
Also pics here, and here. I couldn't get her to fully open her eye at all :/

She's holding it shut as much as she can:

This has come on literally overnight. She's hardly opening it at all and seems to be causing quite a lot of discomfort even without touching her eye as she was extremely clingy when I had her out for a closer look, most unlike her and while she will run off in her pen she does seem more reluctant to move. Her other eye is completely normal.

She has always had a tendency to want shut this eye a little more than the other though nothing was ever found to be wrong with the eye at all. Never has it looked gungy, inflamed and sore like this though.

We're getting ready to take her to the emergency vets. I have never dealt with an eye problem before and I really want to know what this is if possible before getting there in case it is a lesser vet on duty.

Gracie is a pet shop pig, I know nothing of her medical past before we got her (at a young age) other than that she may be related to Rosie (a heart pig). She has had no health problems to date. She has no other symptoms that I can see and her weight has not changed.

What would you suggest this is, and what method of treatment?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:49 am

It could be a hay poke which will cause an ulcer in her eye. Extremely painful and needs to be treated asap.

Most vets will do an eye stain and prescribe a/b drops or ointment, which you'll have to put in her eye every 4 hours or so.

Trick

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks Mum, we've got the vet lined up in just under an hour now as she's been doing visits elsewhere this afternoon. I guessed that on the phone we'd be met by the old "nothing approved for guinea pigs" so I wrote down the antibiotic from the UK med thread (tiacil ophthalmic solution, UK version of gentamicin) which she had heard of as well as the anti-inflammatory flurbiprofen which wasn't recognised but we'll see.

I shall ask for an eye stain to be done, I can't imagine that being too different from any other animal.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:19 am

Sounds as if you have the information you need. Let us know what the vet finds.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:42 am

Poor Gracie, that looks painful. Please keep us informed. I hope it is nothing too serious and she feels better soon.

Trick

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:57 pm

We're back from the vets, who was a new one to the practise and was really very helpful. She did an eye stain right off the bat, which initially didn't show up anything but by the end of the appointment showed up something that covers almost half of her eye surface towards the back corner. It was initially a short line that grew to look like this large cloud.

We're due back at the vets on Tuesday and I requested to see the same vet again. She's a bit worried about it, and said it was most likely something chronic given Gracie's tendency to hold that eye a little shut normally. Is this an ulcer?

The vet also pulled an absolutely horrible looking bit of hay out of her eye. It was spear shaped and I felt sick when I saw it. Poor girl :/

We have been prescribed metacam for the pain, 0.4ml once a day orally, and tiacil ophthalmic solution, 1-2 drops twice daily. The latter is in a dispenser designed for cats and dogs so the drops are huge, the vet recommended sticking to one drop twice daily for now. She gave her her first eye drop at the surgery and there is already a noticeable difference. I've given her her metacam when we got home and she is happily eating pellets in the pen now, very happy to be home.

I am pretty worried about her eye though, when the stain went in this thing that showed up just kept growing and growing in size as the dye took to it. It looked serious.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:05 pm

I had a several old day baby pig get a horrible eye poke that resulted in a very, very deep eye ulcer.

I was instructed to put the a/b cream in every 4 hours, around the clock, for 7 days.

By the end of this time his eye had healed perfectly.

So, the chances of your pig's eye healing are excellent, as long as you're dilligent about giving him his meds.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:09 pm

Feel better Beautiful Gracie!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:12 pm

That sounds so painful about the hay in her eye. Could it have been in there for awhile, causing the closing of her eye before?

"when the stain went in this thing that showed up just kept growing and growing in size as the dye took to it. It looked serious."

I just don't understand what that means. what was growing? Sorry I am not medical.

Feel better pretty Gracie and tell Momma that it isnt her fault.

Trick

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:29 pm

When they put the stain in it takes a while to find any irregularities, the vet said especially with small eyes like piggies it can take a while to "take" to any cuts or abrasions. I drew her attention back to the idea after I saw a line appearing in the dye and as we watched the area being highlighted by the dye just seemed to get bigger and bigger til we ended up looking at a really large bad looking area.

I think when they get hay in the eye it tends to swell immediately.. I still should have brought her in earlier though but her eye always went back to normal before :/

Mum, do you think the prescribed amount of dosage for our a/b is okay? 1 drop twice daily? It's tiacil ophthalmic solution aka gentamicin, I'll do some searching and see what other people have dosed this at. Thank you for the encouragement :)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:36 pm

I don't remember which a/b I used - probably BNP, since it was an ointment.

I suspect my vet was over vigilent, since I haven't since heard of people having to follow the every 4 hour routine.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:39 pm

That seems fine. If you don't see an improvement within 24-48 hours another ab may be recommended. I've had some respond to gent drops and some that didn't but rather to BNP ointment. I think she's going to feel a whole lot better now.

Trick

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:16 pm

Thanks :) She does seem a lot more comfortable now, though understandably she's a bit tired out by the whole ordeal today. We're due back at the vets on Tuesday which puts my mind at rest a lot too.

I'll stick to the medicines vigilantly and will update if there is any change. I'm gonna go allow myself to relax for a bit now!

Thanks again for all the advice, reassurance and well wishes :)

NiniAriane

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Sending well wishes for Gracie.

Topaz

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:00 pm

Trick, I'm so sorry Gracie is having troubles with her eye. The poor thing. My Goldie also has an eye that looks more squinty than the other and irritated from time to time. I've always just assumed she was more sensitive to dust, hay, etc. I'm going to watch her like a hawk now.

*healing thoughts* sent to Gracie. Feel better little girl!

Gordy

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Aww bless her, it does look very sore.

I am sending her good wishes, I hope she gets better soon. xx

Alison
---x--
Last edited by Gordy on Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Our vet has prescribed gentamicin drops every 4-6 hours, then Terramycin (similar to BNP) ointment at least twice a day (better if you can do more).

The ointment is gooier and holds its place better. It can also help seal the drops in.

We never were able to make close to 4 to 6 applications per day, which is what every 4 to 6 hours would come out to be. Our eye injuries healed fine applying 2 to 3 times per day ... with the caveat that none were as severe as Gracie's. (Ugh on the hay spear ... poor girl!).

Long story short -- the more often you can apply, the better.

Best to Gracie and to you.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:28 am

Sending healing thoughts for Gracie, and good wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery! She is such a beautiful girl. :)

Trick

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:09 am

I can certainly give her the eye drops three or four times a day rather than two if it would help.. there isn't much point in giving her more than one drop at a time (the dosage says 1-2 drops a time) as one drop fills her eye for a long time, the second would just run straight out. I'll read the instructions and make sure that wouldn't be overdoing it though, I'm a bit worried with medications I'm not used to.

She's taking her eye drops so well, she's such a patient girl. She gives me reproving guinea pig kisses afterwards.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:36 am

How is pretty Gracie feeling this morning?

86 posts