Gracie - Very Sore Eye

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks for all the updates!

Perhaps she is itchy there? Is her stomach bulgy at all?

Trick

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Lynx :D

No, her stomach seems fine and she doesn't seem to be in discomfort. Her skin too is okay, just balding. But it does seem very localised which is odd.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:58 am

Are you up for getting her a younger playmate?

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:52 am

I think another wave of Tricksy Guinea Pigs is a great idea :)

Trick

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 am

It's definitely a possibility! To be honest, it's the first thing that occurred to me, but because of Rosie's more delicate conditions, we're a bit worried about doing anything that causes her stress.

Despite everything, Rosie has maintained her top pig status, but I doubt a younger pig would be willing to take that as read! There is also Purdie who is blind and has no concept of normal guinea pig manners - the others got used to this over time, and are very tolerant of her now.

The trials of having geriatric piggies :S

Trick

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:03 am

We found a lump in Gracie's dewlap yesterday evening, quite difficult to find further down her throat. Being paranoid in the wake of losing our other pigs I decided to take her to the vets today rather than wait and see if it was growing any.

It's about pea sized, unconnected to skin or muscle, and doesn't seem to bother her at all when I palpate it. I'm not sure if it's brand new or always been there as it's really well hidden.

The vet showed me that she has one equal sized on the other side, and that they were her thyroid glands, perhaps slightly swollen but not too much. Gracie of course is completely unimpressed that I took her to the vets to have her thyroids confirmed...

Anyway, before I hang my head in paranoid shame, is it fine that her thyroid glands are a little swollen? Her behaviour, eating, drinking, poop, pee, weight etc are all completely normal, and she is not living fairly happily with Foster and Tahini with minimal arguments.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:24 pm

Now you know where they are and what size they feel? You can find them again?

I'd say it is great you have an identification of them and learned something.

Trick

Post   » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:37 am

I can find them pretty easily now I know where they are, but I've been monitoring them both and the left one is now definitely bigger than the right one (about twice the size).

However, her behaviour hasn't changed except that she is a little tired (though that could be because Tahini is in heat and has been bugging her a lot), and her appetite and drinking and everything are the same.

Obviously she isn't a candidate for surgery but I think we'll have to get this lump checked out :/

Trick

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:27 am

We helped Gracie to her rest at the vets. She had a tumour on her thyroid gland that was really aggressive and grew even further over night to a huge size.. Yesterday morning she was fine, by this afternoon she could no longer swallow food or drink, or lift her head up. She wanted to be well but her body failed her, and it came on too fast to stop it. At our first vet visit today they took a sample to send to the lab, but after taking her home she just went even further downhill. I was terrified that without eating she would suffer, and by the time we took her in she could no longer move at all. If I could have tried anything I would have but I knew from knowing her that she was ready, and it is so very unfair :(

Before this she was so healthy and young for her age. We're both totally devestated.

Sleep well sweetheart x

Crazy4me

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:32 am

I am so so sorry Trick; rest well Gracie.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:54 am

Oh, Trick, I am so terribly sorry. Gracie was a wonderful guinea pig.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:15 pm

I am very sorry :( Gracie was a unique piggie who will be terribly missed!

RIP sweet Gracie!