Gracie - Very Sore Eye

Trick

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:57 am

She's feeling a lot better I think, she's holding her eye much more open and she was much harder to catch! Her eyelid is no longer sticking out away from her eye and although her eyelids are still a little swollen there is no visible protrusion of the conjunctiva now. I can quite clearly see the ulceration on her eye though, when my partner is home from work I will get him to try and take a photo.

On the leaflet inside the tiacil ophthalmic solution it states that dosage can be 1-2 drops three times a day so I think it should be okay to give her one drop thrice daily. I will see if I can do one of the dosages at two drops and see if that helps any too.

She is just such a good girl at getting the eye drops, I cannot imagine trying to give them to any of the other piggies. At the vets too she just played dead and flattened herself on the table all floppy. I had to reassure the vet that that is normal Gracie behaviour!

Vipergurl88

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:31 am

Glad to hear she's getting back to her old self!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:52 am

Poor Gracie! I 'm glad to hear she's feeling better and I hope she continues to improve. Keep up those pain meds. I had an eye scratch and Yowie!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:37 pm

I am glad she is doing better. Poor sweet Gracie.

Trick

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Jon tried to take a photo of her eye but it's quite a hard thing to to see on a photo.

It shows at least how big an area this thing covers, you can see it as a sort of light cloud on the left side of her eye there. It looks very sore :/

She's getting the 0.4ml of metacam once a day for pain, is this enough do you think? She is eating and playing normally from what I've seen.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Poor Gracie, it does look painful.

Topaz

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:57 pm

But it looks much better than it did! That's encouraging. I see much less swelling in the lids, and she's got it open much wider.

Hopefully she'll be as good as new withina couple of days. *fingers crossed*

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm

It looks *enormously* better than it did.

Re: Metacam: what's the concentration on it? 1.5 mg/mL or 0.5 mg/mL? Those are the two commonest ... but it might be something else if privately compounded.

Trick

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:36 pm

It doesn't say on the bottle unfortunately (I was hoping it was a one size fits all, ack!) - I'll ask tomorrow at the vets.

I know that when Rosie was prescribed metacam before her dose was tiny in comparison but the strength could have been different, or maybe she just didn't need as much.

I'm glad you think it looks a lot better, that is a relief!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Hooray. I am so glad beautiful Gracie is feeling better. I have had two pigs with hay pokes, and the terramycin (ab ointment) fixed them right up. Sounds like your drops are working, too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:04 pm

Assuming the metacam (big assumption) is 1.5 mg/mL, that's a little on the high side ... but eye injuries are extremely painful and she should be fine IME for a short time on that dose.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:37 am

I hope Gracie is feeling better today.

Trick

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:32 am

Thanks Talishan, I shall double check with the vet this afternoon to make sure.

Her eye is looking even better today, I am crossing my fingers that our visit to the vet later today will bring good news.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:59 am

SO do I, poor Gracie just has to get better soon.

Trick

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:20 pm

The vet was really pleased with Gracie's eye, she did another eye stain and showed us how the dye hadn't taken up quite so much and that it was now darker in the middle of the ouchy spot - she says it often heals from the middle first so this is good! She also said she could see the blood vessels which showed it was healing too.

She's to stay on the metacam until Saturday and the eye drops until two weeks from last Sunday when she started them, though obviously if her eye doesn't continue to improve or gets worse then she goes back to see the vet first. I forgot to ask the concentration of the metacam so I'll maybe scale the dose back to 0.3ml to be on the safe side.

The vet thinks her eye is getting better and the swolleness of her eyelids are way down, plus Gracie was much happier having the area around her eye prodded and manipulated.

We'll keep going with the eye drops and hope for the best.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:36 pm

Good news. Hugs to our Gracie girl.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:47 pm

What a relief that Gracie is getting better. Keep it up little girl.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:21 am

Good for Gracie - glad it's working. :·)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 am

Yay for Gracie feeling better! She is such a lovely girl. :)

Trick

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:18 am

Gracie is holding her eye open most of the time now which is great and she's started getting stroppy about the eye drops which is nice to see oddly enough!

The back corner of her eye looks quite red now but I am guessing that is the blood vessels doing their healing work as the vet said.

As ever, she is being watched very closely!

I lifted her out for one of her eye drops yesterday at the same time Rosie got her normal meds and neither were terribly impressed - "what is SHE doing here?!" they both demanded. Divas, heh.

86 posts