Julius's Medical Thread

SimplyRachael
Sweet boys!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Yay for a new vet that gives you the answers you're looking for. Hopefully he will improve with this new discovery and medication :)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Fantastic news on a vet who can actually diagnose - and is willing to treat - heart pigs!

Make sure your dose of lotensin is adequate.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:26 pm

Is the Benazepril he gave me just another form of lotensin?

I know, I was ecstatic, even WHILE paying the bill :)

Do you think the heart condition is related to his reduced appetite?
To sum things up, Julius is now on:
-Benazepril (will get percentage/dosage to you later - im not at home)
-Lasix, to get rid of the fluid.
-Bactrim - to finish off his URI.

He actually doesn't mind taking his heart meds, because they mixed them in a syrup suspension. (This is ok, right?) I hate feeling like I have to keep checking up on my vet, but one bad experience and I'm biased.

Thanks for any input!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:35 pm

Reduced appetite can indeed be related to heart problems. Hope the meds help!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:37 pm

I have to greatly thank you all for your advice - I honestly never even thought of heart problems, even as much as I go over and over this site.

*Crossing fingers that the meds help...*

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:16 pm

Benazepril is the generic form of Lotensin.

I get mine compounded at 2mg/ml and start each (diagnosed) pig on 0.5ccs twice daily (that's 1mg twice daily). I adjust up or down from there. Your suspension will likely be at a different concentration to the one I have compounded.

Yes, heart pigs lose weight. They generally gain weight once they start on heart meds.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:47 pm

1 mg/5ml is what he started him at - he told me to let him know how he was doing in about a week and we could go from there. He seemed very knowledgeable on heart conditions, and I almost hate to say I trust him - haha.

He is getting 2 ml/day of the lasix, and 1 ml of the lotensin a day.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:50 pm

So, are you saying your Benazepril has 0.20 mg in 1cc?

That's a very low dose - I do hope at least he's getting it twice daily.

I can't tell how much lasix he's getting, since you didn't give the concentration!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:55 pm

Sorry! The lasix is is 50 mg/60ml and he gets one ml twice daily.

The lotensin he is only getting once daily.
The bottle says this.

"Benazepril 10mg 1mg/5ml (2ea)"

To me, (call me crazy) there is 20 ml of meds in the bottle. If there is 10mg of lotensin in the bottle, that equals 1mg/2ml. Which would mean he was getting .5 mg per dose/day, right? Could it be mislabeled?

The lasix says:

"Lasix 50 mg 50mg/60ml (1ea)"

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:10 am

Something's not right here - or I'm not understanding it.

The 1mg/5ml part I take to read that there is .20mg in 1ml (same as 1cc). I think you'll have to call them on it to clarify. Of course, I would be having a 'duh?' moment :-p

He's also getting - I think - something over 1mg lasix twice daily. That's also extremely low. I usually give 2mg or 3mg twice daily for mild fluid retention - up to 5mg for severe hooting.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:23 am

The bad part is, my vet is gone till monday (of course).

Is this enough dosage to help him at least a little until then? He's eating and drinking again - has only fluctuated about an ounce since the gain after our ICU visit.

What im wondering is do I go by the "10mg" written on the bottle? because that "10mg" in the "20 ml" would make it 1mg/2ml, not 1mg/5ml (which is what is says on the bottle.)

I don't really know how to call them and put it nicely that they have the dosage wrong. I'm a new client, and I don't want to make them hate me already, I usually save that for the second visit! I know that Julius's health trumps all, but how do I ask them and not seem to be pointing fingers?

Should I just hold out the weekend and see how he is on Monday?

ETA: Next problem (sigh) - Julius's poos are getting softer than normal. Not liquid, not even runny. Just slightly shinier and a little squishier than normal. If he steps on them you can tell. This never happened till I gave him the lasix and lotensin today. Could they be related? I hope this doesnt get any worse. Some poos are perfect shaped, some are a little funny - all are slightly squishy.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:50 am

I've never known either of those two drugs affect poops or gut motility..

I'd just hang in there, dosing as instructed, until Monday.