Julius's Medical Thread

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:39 pm

Update on Julius.

He is now down to 20 cc's supplemented of CC, he is again eating hay quite well, and started eating pellets last night again. He is holding/gaining weight and he weighed in at 2# 3 oz last night!

His URI seems to be getting better, and while I hate to say anything, he has been pooping beautifully for 2 days now.

He just needs to keep this up...

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:41 pm

Stay well Julius and keep up the good work.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:54 pm

I was hoping I wouldn't be on here in awhile.

Julius was absolutely awesome last Friday thru today! We were at my parents house - he ate, drank and pooped absolutely normally and was full of energy. He wheeked for his vegetables and ate his Critical Care like a champ. I backed him down to 20 cc's a day, and he was maintining, sometimes gaining weight.

Last night we came back home, and he went thru 3 hay piles last night and this morning, he ate all his veggies and has definately been drinking and eating pellets.
He is no longer wheezing OR sneezing. He is breathing better than he has in a long time.
He is still on the doxy, and has been on it for about a week and a day now.

My concern: This morning after I cleaned out his cage (around 11am) he only pooped 7 poos, and he seems to be sitting around kind of fluffed up again. He still eats, and looks fine when he's out running around, but when he's in his pigloo he sits fluffed. I just picked him up, and he had a normal poop half - in, half - out, and when i pulled it out, along with it came a softer, lighter green (maybe caecal?) pellet.
Earlier his eyes looked a little runny, but it looked to me like the white milky cleaning substance that he didn't clean away.

The only difference in today is the location change. They have the same sized cage, but I tend to "hover" over them more, and I'm wondering if I'm stressing him out by worrying over him all the time?
It's also colder in here than it was at my parent's (could this be why he's sort of fluffed?)

I put his eye cream in his eye - last time it got a little runny, his corneal ulcer had come back - I think his eye looks better than it did earlier.

He is out of his pigloo chewing on his cardboard box now, and drinking.

Am I over-concerned? I really don't have the funds to take him back to the vet again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:03 pm

Are you weighing him? I'd continue to watch -- it is possible he might need a motility drug or something else. You could call your vet in the am if it seems warranted.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:10 pm

Could it be making him feel kind of crappy if he's in need of a motility drug? It seems like every time he stops pooing he gets like this. I am weighing him - he has been very consistent.

I'm going to give him some more CC tonight also.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:13 pm

Does there seem to be any gas buildup?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:36 pm

No, he seems to be about the same size/tightness as normal. He has been pooping, just not as much as usual. He has done this same thing about 5 or 6 times since he was started on a/b's over a month ago, which he is still on.
He is currently on his 2nd week of doxy, and was on Bactrim for a week before that, and Baytril for 2 weeks prior to the Bactrim.
We are fairly sure he was intolerant to the Baytril.

He is out eating hay now.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:07 pm

I forgot to add, and this may make a difference -

I didn't take enough KM's hay home with me for the length of time I was home (smacks self) - I had to go buy them some Oxbow orchard grass. They were switched abruptly from KM's timothy/bluegrass mix to orchard grass on Sunday and then abruptly back to KM's last night.

Could this be enough to upset a recovering belly?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:07 pm

I tend to think not unless it affected appetite.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:10 pm

Ok, so Julius is better today - he has maintained his weight with only 10 cc's of CC yesterday. He continues to quit pooping for a few hours every afternoon. This is when he seems like he feels a little "off" most likely because he's stuffed full of poo.

He only had those 2 soft poos yesterday, and then they returned to normal. It was most likely the caeacal pellets, and I just pounced on them before he could get them eaten. He is currently face-down IN his pile of hay, most of the hay is on top of him!! :)

My vet and I both think that the extended time he has been on a/bs is the reason for his unpredictable belly.

My question: I talked to my vet today about the daily poo-less hours, and he recommended getting some unflavored, nothing-but-fiber metamucil or something similar, and sprinkling a tiny bit on his food in the morning.
My vet has yet to steer me wrong, but I thought I would see if anyone had good/bad to say about this?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:13 pm

I wonder if maybe he's eating a lot of his output because the ABs are messin' with his system. I don't think I'd bother with the metamucil, but would just offer him CC balls or something to snack on.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:23 pm

I wondered about that too - when i give him his meds you can definately smell that he has been eating poos.