Julius's Medical Thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:04 pm

I'm sending more good thoughts for Julius. He has been through so much.

What dose of Doxycycline did your vet prescribe for Julius?

https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html#doxycycline

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Sorry, I always forget that part. He's getting .5 ml 2x daily. so he's getting 10 mg daily, and he weighs around 2# 3 oz. Is this too much?

When I put it in the dosage calculator, it says dose should be around 5 mg every 12 hours. So he's being dosed correctly right?

If someone has the time to refigure my math, and let me know, I would appreciate it. I'm a little frazzled here..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:17 pm

That looks like it would work then. Pinta has recommended the rat dose which is 5mg/kg 2 times a day. I would syringe water, give extra fluids.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:18 pm

Little update on Julius.
I just got done feeding him 10 cc's of CC (20 min. start to finish...not bad for an amauter!!) He is out of his pigloo currently chewing on his kleenex box hay rack.

I forgot to mention that earlier on my way to and from the vet clinic I saw Julius tuck his head under his belly and come out munching. This means he's eating poos right? So he's probably pooping?
I got a tiny fragment of a poop tonight, nothing equaling anything though.

He ate some spinach, loved his tomatoes, and ate a little lettuce.

Besides sneezing horribly, he doesn't seem like he feels TOO horrible. He sits around a little more than normal, but still comes out to drink and chew on the cardboard.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:44 pm

"I saw Julius tuck his head under his belly and come out munching. This means he's eating poos right?"

Exactly. He is consuming his cecotropes ("first-pass" feces).

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Well apparently he's eating all of them, or is only pooing the cecotropes, there is no poo in his cage still.

It's good he's eating them, correct?

(Sorry for long post earlier, I'm sort of freaking out about this..)

ETA: Thanks, Lynx - in all my worrying, I totally missed your post!
I like it when people recheck my math. :)

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:48 am

Morning update on Julius:

- I handfed 20 cc's of CC before bed last night, along with some water. I got some Acidophelous capsules and he has been getting half of one in each CC feeding, along with some extra vitamin C. He started pooping last night again. They are smaller than normal, but they are there. He ate some tomato and spinach, and is drinking.

- This morning I fed 10cc's CC, and some extra water. He ate his tomatoes and some lettuce. He is still sitting in the pigloo more than normal, but has showed some interest in his hay.

Come on, a/b's, you gotta work this time!!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:48 pm

Update:

Julius seems about the same/maybe a little better tonight. He has started eating some hay again, and is still drinking. He has already had 34 cc's of CC today, and will get about 10 more before bed. When I fed him at 7, he was apparently upset I was watching tv at the same time. I was letting him chew, and I didn't move fast enough and he grabbed the syringe and started tugging until I paid attention!

His weight last night was 2# 2oz, and this morning after his first feeding he was up to 2# 4 oz. I weighed him after his 7pm feeding, and he was 2# 5 oz.

He is a little more active tonight, and ate his morning veggies throughout the day.

I think it's too early to tell if the a/b is really working?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:22 pm

If he's perkier, it is likely working. I hope the doxycycline helps.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:30 pm

Thanks Lynx!
He's been out eating hay since i gave him his nightly pile, and is eating some pellets!! He ate about half of his morning hay pile too. I'm still going to push some more CC in him tonight. Can't hurt.

I hope the doxy is indeed working. Its about time something went right for this poor boy.

Oh, he's producing many perfect poos again also. Yay probiotics!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:37 am

I just fed Julius again, gave him more acidopholous and some more vit. C.
I made the mistake of not filling my 1cc syringes BEFORE putting him in my lap, and he crawled in the bowl and grabbed the one full syringe and started chewing on it. Silly boy! He sucked down 16 (16!!) more cc's of CC - i didn't have to restrain him at all - he sat in my lap and grabbed onto the syringe.

That puts him at 50 cc's today. Is that a decent amount?

He is now sitting in his cage eating his veggies eagerly.

Weight 2# 4 oz.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:07 am

50ccs is lovely. If he's not eating at all on his own you could give him more.

Incidentally, once they grab the syringe like this I switch to a 10cc oral syringe. You don't have to push it to the back molars, since the pig really wants and enjoys the CC, and it tends to be a little easier and faster.