Julius's Medical Thread

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:20 pm

Julius weighs 2# 5 oz right now. I want to go with the topical ivermectin, but read the page on it and am very confused. Do I have to dilute it or not?

Also, what would be the dosage for a gp his size?

Thanks.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Are you planning to use 1% injectible ivermectin, topically, or the pour-on .5% solution?

You should not have to dilute either one, but the dose is different for each kind.

This is a very handy page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/dose_calculator.html

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:22 pm

Ok, I got to the farm store before they closed (yes!)

I ended up getting the pour on - it doesnt have a percentage marked on the box, but it is 5mg/ml, which would be .05% right?

I used the dosage calculator (thanks tracis!) and this is what it said.
Average recommended dose: 0.104326252 cc

So this means I give him .1 cc/ml topically, behind the ears, right? And it does not need to be diluted, correct?

Just want to make sure....

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:47 pm

I have not used the pour-on myself; however, your dose looks correct to me.

You can wait a little bit to see if any others have input!

Will you be treating all of your pigs at the same time?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Ok, I went with it - the two older boys are treated. I didn't treat the little onw, because he was treated with revolution about a month ago, when I got him.

Should I treat him too? he's about 14 oz.

ETA: Another thing, I just changed their fleece at 1ish today, now its around 6 here. Do I need to re-change their bedding even though its only been 5 hours?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:04 pm

I'd treat all the pigs in the house.

I use the pour-on also.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:20 pm

Done, thanks! :)

Does anyone have an opinion on the fleece changing?

How long till I should see improvement?

Thanks!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:26 pm

Are you considering changing the fleece because of the mites?

I don't believe you need to change bedding or clean everything between doses. When I have treated for mites, I kept to my regular cleaning schedule.

As for improvement, some notice it right away. With other pigs, it can take a few doses. Is Julius scratching at his marks? He may be more sensitive to the mites than the other boys.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:03 pm

I haven't seen him scratching alot - he is the only one with scabs. He is also not eating well, which i hope will end with this.

He has not been pooping alot today either, most likely due to not eating. I don't think he looks bloated.

He has also been sick, which makes him more susceptible to the mites if i understand correctly.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:11 am

I dont' know if anyone is on here this late - Julius has not pooed for me since noon/oneish. I cahnged fleece around then, and there are pee spots, but no poo. He acts about the same as he has the last few days, and does not look (to me anyway) to be bloated. He ate some hay, is drinking some, and is, as of right now, eating his veggies.

He didn't eat hardly at all today until now, could that be why?

Any ideas?

Vipergurl88

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:20 am

If he doesn't eat, he won't poop. Now that he's eating some you should have some poops coming the next day, but I would start handfeeding if you aren't already. At least until he's eating normally again.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Noon, and maybe none, maybe one poop. There was one in his side, but his brothers could have kicked it across the divider. He ate all his veggies last night, and is still drinking, but still not eating much hay. I handfed him some yesterday afternoon, but then i wasn't sure if I should, in case he had bloat.

He still doesnt look bigger than normal, can you tell by looking at them when they have bloat?