Julius's Medical Thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:46 pm

Hay is so good for him. I'm glad he is enjoying it!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:16 pm

So glad he got the heart meds.

But I'm not sure, either, that they'll help the sneezing. Is he still on a/bs? (Was he ever - sorry, I haven't read back).

Did he get lotensin? What dosage is he getting?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:33 pm

He was on a/bs for close to 3 weeks (Baytril for 2 weeks, Bactrim one week - he tolerated neither of them very well) We took him off of the a/b's because we thought they were causing the GI upset.

I notice that the sneezing usually starts when he's playing with his brothers or eating. Otherwise he hardly sneezes at all. Could this be due to fluid around the lungs/heart?

He is on benazepril 1cc/day 1mg/2ml concentration. i also put him back in the lasix once a day, hopefully if all goes well he will be back on it 2x daily (right now he's getting 1cc per day of 50mg/60ml Lasix.)

Another question - he has fluctuated about a half ounce since yesterday, I handfed him 10 cc's of CC this morning.
He has been eating well all day - including pellets and hay and has been drinking. I'm still pretty sick, and handfeeding doesn't sound so fun right now. I will do it if i need to, but do you think since he's eating he will be ok until tomorrow?

His poos look much better tonight, hopefully this GI thing is getting figured out. He has also been more active today than he has been in a couple weeks.

Any thoughts?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:14 am

Half an ounce is nothing to worry about in a full grown pig.

If he tolerates 1mg of the benazepril a day, try upping it to 1mg twice daily (per kg). At the moment you're giving him just 0.5mg once a day, which isn't anything like enough. You want him to have at least that once daily, and then go up to the other dose if he tolerates that.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:41 pm

So far so good on Julius - He has eaten more in the last 24 hours than in a long time. Hopefully his weight will be up a little tonight at weigh in.

Mum, should i just double dose him myself and hope my vet doesn't notice, or should I ask him about it and hope he agrees?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:50 pm

You should check with your vet.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:18 pm

That's what I thought. I'll see how he does with the single dose and then call my vet. Thanks!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Julius still seems to be doing a little better. He's spending some time in his pigloo again (I can almost hear him - "Momma, let me sleep and stop picking up my pigloo!) but is eating some hay and is still eating KM's pellets quite well.

He loves to chew on the cardboard base of the divider (needed the cardboard so little Mouse doesn't get his head stuck) Keeping paws and fingers crossed for at least a little weight gain at weigh in tonight!

ETA: Forgot to mention yesterday that all 3 boys got their second ivomec dose yesterday!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:22 pm

Julius just had his nightly weigh in, and while he didn't gain, he maintained his exact weight from last night. He is still eating pretty well, and drinking.
He is also leaving me a pile of perfect little poos. Perfect shape, size and color.

find this encouraging, partly because of last week's problems and partly because usually that means they're eating enough. (right?)

Has has been more active today also, he and Mouse keep chattering at each other through the bars.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:53 pm

Julius wants to say thanks for all the good thoughts, and he really is trying to get better!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:27 am

Julius is very handsome! It sounds like he is feeling much better.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:59 am

He is feeling some better I think - he almost got in trouble last night, though.
I cleaned their cage around 11, and when I went to bed at 12:30, no Julius poo. I woke up at 2 to check on him - no Julius poo. I woke up at 5 to check on him - perfect Julius poo everywhere. I don't really know what to make of that.

He ate his entire pile of Timothy hay last night ( I don't think he likes the Bluegrass so well), so i restocked him at 5:30 this morning. He's still eating pellets and drinking, and besides that little episode last night, pooing perfectly.

He is however, still sneezing. So here's my dilemma. Should I take him in and get more a/b's and risk GI upset? I would for sure get him cultured this time, to make sure we were getting it. My last vet told me he was fairly sure Baytril and Bactrim would have gotten anything, but I don't know.

Second dilemma - I don't really have time until Wednesday to drive him to Marshalltown to the vet. Am I safe to wait until then as long as he doesn't get worse and keeps eating? He has never really gotten worse, it just depends on the day how bad he is.

Any thoughts?