My poor pig Bob, sick or just scared?

Anubis1179

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:35 am

My guinea pig's name is Bob, he is about a year old and as for breed im not sure, short hair? Sorry he hand his brother smokey are my first guinea pigs.

So Bob will not come out of his hutch. He is still eating if you put the food by the huntch so he does not have to leave it. If you put it away from the hutch he will stretch to get it but does not want his back feet to leave the hutch. He is actting like he is scared to leave the hutch.

I was off of work for two day really sick and coughing a lot and I also dropped a large glass candie dish that shattered. So I guess those two things could have scared him. He is jumpy and will run for cover if you come around the corner and he did not hear you coming, even though we handle him everyday.

Is this normal for guinea pigs to get scared and hide for a whole day or two or should I take him to the vet ASAP?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:54 am

How long have you had Bob and Smokey? Has Bob always acted like this? By hutch do you mean a house/box within his cage?

Guinea pigs are prey animals and it is their instinct to hide when they are scared. If he is new you will need to be patient and earn his trust. Some are just more nervous than others and need more time. If you have had him awhile and this behavior is new, than that could be cause for concern.

Anubis1179

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:58 am

I have had Bob and Smokey for almost a year. Yes a house/box in his cage.

No he does not act like this normaly, if he did I would not be worryed. Most of the time if you are in the room with him he will be chewing on the bars of his cage to get a treat.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:03 pm

This does sound like he could be sick than. Do you have a good vet that is knowledgeable about guinea pigs? Have you noticed anything else different about Bob?

Anubis1179

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:05 pm

Yes there is a good Vet about 15 min from me. No just that he is acting scared to come out of his house.

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:07 pm

Any physical sign of injury? Weight loss?

Anubis1179

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:11 pm

No, and I do not think so. But I am really worred about dehydration since his water bottle is on the other side of the cage.

I am hoping Bob will be back to normal today sice I went back to work and will not be at home coughing up a lung in the next room. If not I will see the Vet ASAP.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Can you take him out and look him over? Check for anything unusual, limping, loss of weight, eyes or anything that looks different. You can check his eyes with a flashlight to see if the pupils react to the light. Has he been eating his hay and has he been drooling? You said he chews the bars a lot, also check his front teeth to see if they are broken.

Anubis1179

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:16 pm

Is it safe for me to do that since I am sick? If it is I will do that as soon as I get home.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:23 pm

Wash your hands first, I think it will be okay. I've had to take care of my pigs when I was sick before. You could give Bob some wet greens to help with dehydration for the time being.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Another thought here. How is Bob's breathing, any discharge on his nostrils?

Anubis1179

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:37 pm

I will, thank you for your help!

Anubis1179

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:40 pm

breathing is fine, and none I could see.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 pm

Do you weigh him regularly? Has he lost weight?

You need to take him out and check him thoroughly.
So Bob will not come out of his hutch.
Is he kept outside?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Mum, Anubis is referring to Bob's hidey in his cage as a hutch.

Ledasmom

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:53 pm

What does he do if you move his hidey? Is he generally acting terrified in the cage, and does he act more normally if you take him out of the cage?

Anubis1179

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:25 pm

Do you weigh him regularly? Has he lost weight?
No, I did not know I needed to. I guess I am a bad guinea pig owner since I did not really look in to all this stuff before I got these guys and just went by when the pet store told me. In fact I did not know 95% of the stuff on this site before I found it. But now that I do know this stuff I will doing it.

As for weight loss, I'm not 100% sure he feels about the same to me.

Is he kept outside?
No he is not, when I said Hutch I was wrong. I should have said his house/box/hidey in his cage.
What does he do if you move his hidey?
Just stands there, but he did that before
Is he generally acting terrified in the cage
Yes I would say he was, I put him back on the other side of he cage and he stayed there for like 20 sec then took off like a bat out of hell for his hidey
does he act more normally if you take him out of the cage?
When I was holding him he acted fine, but when I left him on the chair (I was close by to make sure he did not fall) he just kinda stood there. Most of the time he will stand there for like a min then try to find something to get in to.
You need to take him out and check him thoroughly.
I just did and I could not find anything wrong with him.

I am really worried about my little guy so I am calling a vet ASAP just to be on the safe side. But anything you guys can come up with to help me help Bob would be great.

klynne

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Make sure you get his eyes checked.

Also ask your vet to check his ears carefully--if he's experiencing changes in vision or hearing, or some other neurological problem, it would explain the sudden behavior changes.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:03 pm

You are not a bad piggy owner. Many of us started out the same, and made alot of mistakes. But from those mistakes you learn.

Weighing regularly is a must as the first sign of illness is usually weight loss. http://www.guinealynx.com/weigh.html

I would get him into the vet. It can not hurt. Petstore pigs are often sick with mites, URI etc. They are also notorious for miss-sexing. So I suggest you re-sex your pigs. This article http://www.guinealynx.com/sexing.html should help. This one has some great pictures - http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:45 am

Good luck at the vet, I hope he/she will be able to find out what's bothering Bob. I hope you feel better soon too!

59 posts