My poor pig Bob, sick or just scared?

Feylin

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:33 pm

I had the same problem- so I SHOWED the vet Guinea Lynx. If she would have held to her incorrect opinions (lots of pigs have been treated with this and are fine), I would have gone else where. Instead, the vet read the page agreed that she was wrong and decided to research more to find out the whys and hows of the various treatments.

You might want to see how your vet reacts to new information since you like him so well.

Anubis1179

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:30 am

I will think about doing that.

I am more worryed about the health of my Pigs then anything else. I am going to keep a close eye on Bob, I am even thinking about setting up a web cam so I can keep an eye on him from work. So if Bob does not start to get back to his normal self I will take him to another vet.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:33 am

If your vet is open to new information you may not need to find a new one. Many vets don't much much about guinea pigs, but some are willing to read all the information you print out for them and go from there. Sometimes these vets can be extremely valuable, but you do have to do the bulk of the research for them.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:42 pm

Anubis, I didn't mean to discredit your vet, it's just that some of the things you said sent up a red flag. Even the best vets (being human) can make a bad judgment call. The thing that concerns me is that Bob is not leaving his house. None of my pigs that had lice acted that way, they all acted normally except for the scratching. That's what makes me wonder if there could be something else wrong with Bob (in addition to lice).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:58 pm

Ditto PinkRufus on the red flag behavior.

magicmoo

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:21 am

Anubis. Just another thought. Magic had mites just before he got pneumonia-the vet said(in retrospect) that it was a sort of sign that his defences had been down. It was only about a week before. I wasn't weighing Magic at that time, and only when I came onto guinea lynx did I do so. I know that I would have spotted his problem earlier had I been doing so.

I can't remember if you said you have been weighing him or not? I am just wondering if he is harbouring something, currently managing to hide it? It is true what is said on here about them being able to hide their illnesses, as Magic was close to death before I got any outward sign at all.

Anubis1179

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:02 am

Well he came out of his house today before I went to work. He ate his carrot outside of his house this morning also. But after he was done eating the carrot he went back in to the house. But it was still a small step in the right derection.
I can't remember if you said you have been weighing him or not?
I was not, did not know I should to before I came here.

But I am still going to keep a very close eye on Bob, and if he does not improve by Fri I will be taking him to another vet for a second opinion.

magicmoo

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:28 am

Me neither, Anubis. Do you have any scales that you could start to weigh him on? I followed the advice from here and weighed every day whilst he was ill, and now weigh once a week. It is reassuring to me.

I just thought that maybe Bob could be nursing something that he hasnt shown you yet, like mine was.

Good luck for Friday, if you need it! (hope you don't)

Anubis1179

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:33 am

Do you have any scales that you could start to weigh him on?
Yes, I went out and bought one as soon as I was told it was a good idea.

Bob is 2lbs 7oz and my other Guinea Pig Smokey is coming in little heavy at 3 lbs but is still healthy and happy.

magicmoo

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:47 pm

How is Bob today, Anubis?

Anubis1179

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:01 pm

well last night he was sitting out side his house for a little bit and is coming out for food.

He is still spending a lot of time in his house but is getting better.

everly_dawn

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:25 pm

I wouldn't worry too awful much about him being jumpy in general. My boy Rodney is several years old, I've had him since he was born almost and he STILL runs and hides everytime you move! It's really quite funny. He likes to be held but still gets the "look of approaching doom" in his eyes when you go to pick him up and tends to scury aobut like a mad-pig until you catch him.

Carson on the other hand who used to be like that has mellowed considerably. He comes up to the side of the cage whenever there is movement and will stretch up to be picked up easilly...though he doesn't like to be held much at all.

It's been a learning experience and I've been surprised how much their personalities have changed since they were babies. Just like people in this way I guess.