Purdie - Blindness?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:37 pm

Lift => large bird of prey. With claws. Well, to you they're fingers.

If she's okay once she's picked up, I'd try (emphasis on try :-) to ignore how upset she gets when picked up.

Trick

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Purdie is squeaking when passing urine. I don't think she is having trouble with her poops as it seems like I'd be hearing her a lot more often if she was but I'm keeping a close eye on her. We've only just noticed her doing this this evening, she was definitely fine yesterday.

I'm going to put some white towels down in the pen to see if I can catch her pee, she won't do it if I lift her out unless I wait at least an hour and that will really distress her. I'd rather not separate her from the herd unless it is absolutely necessary.

Is there anything I should be looking for in pee other than blood? I've read over the UTI page, is there anyway of ruling out bladder stones other than x-ray? The local vets won't do x-ray without sedation and it would be next week before we could get to the further out vets.

Trick

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 2:56 pm

I forgot to say, otherwise there are no changes in Purdie at all or any symptoms of anything amiss. Her weight is steady and her behaviour normal.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 2:58 pm

I've read over the UTI page, is there anyway of ruling out bladder stones other than x-ray?
No, you need an xray. I've never had a pig sedated for a full body xray.

Trick

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 3:16 pm

The local vets here refuse to do one without sedation, seems to be the norm here in the UK.

How quickly does an x-ray need to be done? I really doubt I can get an appointment with the further out vet until next week at least. I really don't want to sedate her though :/

Fourboys4now

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 3:17 pm

I hope Purdie is okay. All of your piggies are so gorgeous, but I have a special place in my heart for sweet Purdie.

Trick

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Thank you Fourboys4now :)

The towels have shown there is definitely blood in her urine. She isn't squeaking every time so I am hoping it isn't too painful for her. We're taking her to the vets tomorrow to get her urine tested and some antibiotics hopefully... she peed at the vets last time so hopefully she will perform again.

I'll ask if they can do an x-ray but if not then I'll need to book an appointment at the other vets and hope the antibiotics work in the meantime.

If the antibiotics stop the blood in her pee - should we still get an x-ray done? I have no problem getting one done at all, I just want to check I'm not putting more stress on her than I need to.

Trick

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 2:05 pm

We're just back from the local vets. We have a 10 day prescription of Baytril for her. (25mg/cc at 0.2ml twice daily for a 1kg pig)

The vet took a sample of her urine and spun it in the machine before prescribing, he also checked her urine for traces of crystals but there weren't any. He gave her a good check over as well, initially he was concerned at how hard her bladder felt but then she obliged him by emptying it!

Ever the helpful piggie, Purdie peed in a cup for him to test it better :)

He checked her temperature as well which was fine, and couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary once she'd emptied her bladder.

We've to treat with the antibiotic for now but to bring her in if nothing changes or she gets worse as he of course can't rule out bladder stones though he think it is at least unlikely from what the urine sample was showing.

We've treated a pig with baytril before so I know it can be a bit rougher on their systems. I'll be giving a healthy mushy poo as a probiotic about 30-45 mins after her dose every 12 hours.

Also, she hasn't squeaked again since peeing since those first couple of times we heard her so I hope that is a good sign?

EllieMom

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 2:15 pm

A squeak-free pee is definitely a good thing. She must be feeling at least a little better. :)

Trick

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 7:12 pm

That's good to know, thank you :)

No sign of blood in her pee again either yet!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 1:25 am

Sending good thoughts for pretty Purdie! She is lucky to have you caring for her. :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 6:50 pm

"I'll be giving a healthy mushy poo as a probiotic about 30-45 mins after her dose every 12 hours."

In my most recent experience with just this -- a UTI resistant to Bactrim and no stone upon x-ray -- two things helped enormously: 1) dose the Baytril once per day rather than twice, and 2) give an extra dose of probiotic (or more than one) sometime during the day in addition to shortly after the actual dose.

The "booster dose" of probiotic made a huge difference in keeping Sirius in good shape on Baytril.