Guinea Pig fell from huge height any advice or help

Topaz

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:54 pm

Good news!

BGPigs

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:25 pm

Jellyhead:

When I click on your link, it doesn't let me see the pic.

critterluv02

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:45 pm

No photos when I click either.

Just wanted to let you know that the very first guinea pigs I had, I took in from a family who had small kids. One of the kids had fallen on top of one of the pigs and injured his back. They didn't bother taking him to the vet, but left him to heal on his own. He did fully recover and by the time I got him, you would never have known that he was ever paralyzed.

I hope the same for Sid.

Jellyhead

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:02 pm

Sorry not sure why the picture is not working, I will try again

Sid is doing a lot better his left leg is fine now pretty much back to normal, his right leg is still held under him. The vet says the muscles are in permanent cntraction and need help to move again and ive to give him physio every day. His medicine has been lowered which is good. Other that his right leg you would not know there is anything different or wrong with him!

Jellyhead

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi

I know its been a while but I thought I would let you all know how sid is doing. About two weeks ago, he lost all interest in his food and then started bleeding. I took him to the vets and they said it was a UTI. He was on baytril for two weeks but the bleedin did not improve and he had selective eating. The vet then x rayed and discovered a large bladder stone.

I then had to make a decision to either operate which would be a huge risk expecially in his condition or to leave and see if it would dissolve. I decided to operate.

It was a very difficult decision but now one im glad I made. After his operation i got him home and the first thing he did was eat. Its now almost a week since the operation and its like he is back to normal a new pig.

The vet does not know what caused the stone, its apparently not his diet [im feeding what they say] they said it might be water, but he has a fresh bottle every day, so they are unsure.

In terms of his leg, his left leg is completly fine back to normal. His right leg is getting there very slowly but its getting there. He walks on his toes on his right leg but he goes very quick and you cant tell theres anything wrong.

I just wanted to say to anyone who finds themselves in a similar position, just stick with your pig. Give them lots of love and care and with time they will be ok.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm so glad the surgery was a success. Some pigs seem to be predisposed to stones. You can try and adjust the ca/ph ratio of your diet.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 6:23 pm

Jellyhead, congratulations and kudos to you for sticking with your pig and taking such good care of him. An awful lot of people don't. You are special for doing so.

Ditto Mum. Some pigs just have a predisposition (may be genetic, we don't know) to developing them. Do pay a little more attention to his diet, but don't drive yourself nuts with it.

How old (roughly, without reading back) is Sid?

klynne

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 10:33 pm

I am glad for all you're doing for Sid, and glad he came thru surgery okay.

Some folks feel using bottled water helps with stone things--esp. if they have hard water.

Jellyhead

Post   » Tue May 27, 2008 10:30 am

Sid is three years old.

I have tried analysing his diet but its quite a difficul ting to do especially when his brother eats the same food andhe does not have a stone. Im thinking it might be a combination of stress from the fall and the medicine he was on.