Yipes! Poor Nina has a badly swollen foot!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:25 pm

I soaked it in extra warm water, what looked like dirt or poop came off leaving an open sore. There was some whitishness there but a small attempt to see if it could be removed resulted in lots of blood so I rinsed it and put a bandage on (all I have) which she has so far left alone.

I'll see a vet on monday. Wondering if there could be an abscess that needs stuff removed, would there be lots of bleeding?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:26 pm

Gave her some bactrim I had (probably not the best but it's all I have at the moment and I know it must be infected).

I think Josephine said culturing it is best in which case maybe I should not until seen by vet. I'll see if I can get some chlorhexidine anywhere tomorrow.

Poor Nina. It was a shock to see it all swollen. I wonder if I missed it.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:31 pm

Gak!
Sorry, I have virtually no experience with foot injuries, but I would have done the same as you did. When I had to deal with abscesses (not on feet, though) and was flushing them out, pus would come out at first. When blood alone came out, it meant there was no pus to be flushed anymore.

Now, why do these things always happen on the weekend???

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:38 pm

No kidding. I guess I wondered how much blood is normal and if an abscess can happen in the foot pad. And where do I get chlorhexidine? Is this a Walmart kinda thing? Does it come in a 1% solution that you dilute 10 to one with water or ????

Any advice appreciated. I'm going to have to get either some of that newskin or some tape and gauze I guess for wrapping. The bandage I put on is still there. and some new triple antibiotic ointment? This is BNP, right?

Man, I am such a wimp.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:41 pm

I flush abcesses with a diluted povidone-iodine, which you can find at a drugstore.

When flushing, I have noticed some whitish tissue down in there even after all the pus has been squeezed out (E is right, blood can be a good sign). I think this might just be necrotic tissue. Usually I can tell if there is pus in there because it will have lumpy pockets underneath the wound.

Pinta has said, I think, that nu-skin is not good for open wounds. I would stick with cleansing and dressing with bnp.

The betadine can be diluted until it looks like weak iced tea.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:45 pm

I use diluted betadine, too.

I don't know if you're thinking of my post, Chary, but I'm the one who said the LIQUID Nu-Skin wasn't good on open sores. The gel pad things are designed to go on open wounds, such as cuts or burns.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:45 pm

By the way, I used the spare heavy ceramic food bowl to soak the foot. It's nice because it doesn't have a tendency to tip and you don't have to get the whole pig accidentally wet.

Ever bought any chlorhexidine?

What I saw looked white/peculiar. It didn't lend itself to coming right out so maybe it was part of the foot. Maybe I should just stick with soaking.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:53 pm

Yes, chlorhexadine is available as "chlorhexaderm flush" in the feed stores out here. The flush is supposed to be for ears but you might be able to use it otherwise. It costs about $14 U.S. dollars for a bottle. The ingredients are:

water, glycerin, isopropyl alcohol, nonoxynol-12, PPG-12-PEG50 lanolin, PEG-40 castor oil, clorhexidine gluconate, fragrance, FD&C blue #1. It may contain citric acid.

I have only found concentrated chlorhexadine at the vet.

However, I'm not sure if it would be the best thing for an open wound. I've had great success with the povidone-iodine (betadine).

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:54 pm

Ever bought any chlorhexidine?
Not me, sorry.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:56 pm

The povidone-iodine says that it is a "topical antiseptic microbicide," and the chlorhexaderm is a "topical antimicrobial cleansing/drying solution."

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:01 pm

I think Zoe used chlorhexidine. Yes, the ingredients you listed in the flush, don't sound too hot.

Poor Nina.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:10 pm

Chlorhexadine is used for bumblefoot a lot. I use it for that, too. But for open wounds/abcesses, I use diluted Povidone-Iodine. For deep abcesses that keep closing up, Dr. R asks me to add in a little peroxide to keep skin from healing over the abcess.

But with a lot of blood, it doesn't sound like an abcess. Usually I don't get blood out of an abcess until I've squeezed a good deal of pus out.