Yipes! Poor Nina has a badly swollen foot!

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 06, 2003 3:04 am

I LOVE that picture! It always makes me laugh out loud.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue May 06, 2003 7:56 pm

It looks like the beginning of pea eye to me, Lynx. Yet another sign possibly pointing to heart.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 06, 2003 8:51 pm

Not enough signs of heart problems. I had the vet check her over specifically for this. I wondered also but unless I have something to go on, it looks like she won't be on heart meds.

Stable weight.
No URI's since I got her (she's about 4).
Active.
No problems racing across the room. Does not tire.

Right now her eyes look great though I wondered about them previously. And pea eye and heart problems may or may not be related. It could also depend on the pig.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 9:38 am

Ok, fine. Just pretend I don't exist.

Cara

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 11:59 am

Pete had ghastly pea eye and no heart issues. Sherman is beginning to get pea eye, I had him check out at the vet to make sure it was pea eye and not something else, no heart issues with him either.

I'm curious, how are pea eye and heart issues related?

Evangeline

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:07 pm

Some people have noticed a correlation between pea eye and heart problems. The same for bumblefoot and heart problems. From what I understand, a good portion of heart pigs have pea eye and/or bumblefoot. Pinta has had a few pigs whose pea eye problems were dramatically reduced as soon as they went on heart meds.

There isn't anything in books about it, but it is one of the little things that could possibly be a tip the heart isn't working well.

drsgr

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:10 pm

OK...I give...what's pea eye? I looked it up on guinealinx but couldn't find it...not on search either.
Susan

Evangeline

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:16 pm

Hi! It's been a really long time. How are you?

Pea eye is when the internal part of the lid swells up and shows. I'll look for a picture.

lisam

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:16 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =fatty+eye

Here are some pictures and an explanation.

Cara

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:18 pm

Ok, E but I want to know more! I'd like to know why the inside of the eyelid would swell when there's heart issues. Bumblefoot, I can understand b/c of the poopr circulation associated with a diseased heart being unable to properly pump blood. But pea eye?

Evangeline

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:21 pm

Same deal, from what I understand. When a pig has a poor heart, some fluids build up around the heart. Sometimes, fluid also build up in the limbs, since the heart is weak and doesn't pump well. I imagine the same does goes for pea eye. Someone can confirm, though.

Lasix helps get rid of the fluids around the heart and it seems to help pea eye in the same way.