Yipes! Poor Nina has a badly swollen foot!

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:44 pm

You're losing your mind.

Peony is a crested self red. Zag was a brown(stuff it, E) abby. Nibel was a white sikie. Shiraz was a chocolate satin. All with Pea eye.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:10 pm

That's not what I meant, dammit! I know pigs from other colors get pea eye too. I just thought I heard that cream ones are especially susceptible to it.

melcvt00

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:21 pm

Doh. Too bad I don't have a curved tip syringe on hand to take a picture of. I could always mail you a few, Lynx. I have access to them 4-5 days a week. The ends are as small as a pen tip...though you can cut them back to make the opening larger if you want.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:55 pm

I hope to be able to get one tomorrow (as I posted). I'll take a pic of it and stick it in here. Maybe I should make a supplies page and have pics of what things look like.

Cara

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:12 pm

Pete had terrible pea eye, almost gross looking and he had a bit of cream in him though mostly red and brown with some black.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:14 pm

You can't have cream and red on the same pig. Most likely, it was lighter (faded) red.

Cara

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:25 pm

Ok, just looked like cream then.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:24 pm

Here you go, Lynx:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:36 pm

Looks good! I tried flushing her wound tonight. Things were pretty bloody so I only soaked it a very short while (did not want her to bleed excessively). Flushed it more or less. I can see that syringe would work much better. Now I know what I'm looking for. Looks like it would hold 3cc or so?

The swelling was down on her foot some, probably partly because the vet used a pressure bandage up and down. She said when there is even pressure over the whole foot it helps with the swelling. Supposedly you don't want it tight on the ankle but if it's the whole foot, help helps. I tried to make it slightly firmer since it still seemed bloody though it was not actively bleeding when I wrapped it.

FYI, I was also encouraged to cut a small, perhaps 1/2" square piece of a Kendall Telfa "ouchless" Non-Adherent pad. This is something like the pad under a standard bandage and soaks up the blood. Then wrapped with gauze and a breathable tape, this time the whole foot.

The vet used one of those stretchy semi-adhesive bandage material that comes on a roll over the gauze. You can unpeel it pretty easily. The tape I use has to be cut off.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:42 pm

The syringe holds 12cc. It's pretty big.

The ouchless pad sounds like a good idea. Glad to hear that the swelling is going down.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:50 pm

Yes, that's exactly what the syringes I got looked like (I got two). And they are PERFECT for this use. I don't know how anyone could expect a 1cc syringe to work adequately. It slips in to the hole (sniff) easily, I rotated it around and pulled it slightly out when I couldn't depress the plunger (pressing against something). It does seem pretty clean in there. I've switched to the elastic gauze bandages over the plain gauze, first putting on that Telfa pad. I see those pads are sold in pharmacies and should be pretty accessible.

I think the worst thing about this is I don't really know what happened. If this is bumblefoot, I have pretty good living circumstances, she gets around (the fastest or at least most slippery pig). All the standard cautions, in my opinion, don't apply. The hay is the only thing that could have cut her foot. There just isn't anything else. And if this happened without a cut, I have no idea how to cure it or prevent it from happening again.

But thanks to you all for letting me know about those curved tip syringes. They really are perfect for flushing an abscess.

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:51 pm

My vet says no one really knows what cause bumblefoot. We do know trhat living conditions is not the sole casue since pigs in the right environment get it.

I believe there are 2 causes/types. One is caused by bacteria and one is caused by poor circulation (look to the heart).

Again, many of my heart pigs have had bumblefoot.