Soft droppings

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 11:24 am

I don't think it is the Ivomec since our herd has never had an issue with their doses.
Is she gassy? does the poops have a stronger odor then her regular ones? and does it have an odd shape or a slimy feel to it?

Yuugi

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 11:59 am

Actually since the mid-morning her poops are normal shapped and no longer soft. Well they are a bit soft when they are fresh but that's normal no? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and see if they continue to be normal.

When she was having soft poops they were tear shapped and a bit more smelly than usual yes. I don't think i'd call them slimy though, just soft.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:12 pm

I am not a vet tech, but I am guessing gas and/or perhaps irritated GI lining.
McMac gets gassy and have tear dropped poops once in a while, I dose him with 2 consecutive doses of Simithecone and cut out his veggies for a day.
Do you have any baby gas drops available?

I hope our medical moderators will see this and come to aid soon.

EllieMom

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:17 pm

It does sound like things are improving a bit, at least I hope so. That's all I'm going to say because, even though I've been immersed in guinea pig poo (both figuratively and, sometimes, literally) for the past couple of weeks, I'm not one of the experts. I can sympathize with you, though, and send good thoughts Momo's way.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Yes, this does happen to my pigs on and off. Generally, if I withhold veggies for a day or two it mends. Some veggies are worse than others - red leaf, for one.

With a larger problem, I wait 48 hours after the poop returns to normal. Then I start, say, with one leaf of green leaf.

Yuugi

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:33 pm

So if her poops remain normal i should re-introduce veggies bit by bit in, let's say...3 days?

The vet adviced a week but that seems like an awful ammount of time to be without veggies.

But i think all the good vibes are working, thank you :3!

EllieMom

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:36 pm

This is why I read these forums! Red leave is BAD for diarrhea? That's one of the ones my vet told me to give them. ARGGGH. That could explain a lot.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:38 pm

I find red leaf tends to turn very, very quickly. I think if it was just picked it would be fine, but it can be deceiving and look ok but be just slightly soggy - which seems to play havoc with compromised GI systems.

I don't like my pigs to be without veggies for more than 48 hours unless absolutely necessary.

If I do withhold veggies I put in a dish of critical care to give them something else to eat and stop the wheeking :-)

Yuugi

Post   » Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 am

Just an update and a question:

Momo's droppings never became soft again, she's still 40 grams away from the weight she used to be at ,when the soft droppings started, but she has been mantaining this weight for 3 weeks now.

Sometimes some of her poops have a stranger shape though, they are smaller, like half a poop. You can also see it becomes a bit thinner at the end, i guess like they were tear shapped.
However this is just a random poop i see here and then. I thought it would be because she was eating less but she hasn't lost weight.

Should i still be concerned?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 27, 2008 9:16 am

I would not worry about a random smaller poop if she is eating well and showing no signs of illness. Just continue to provide a good diet.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Yuugi

Post   » Wed May 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Well today they are even more out of shape, half a poop looks normal while the other half is just a string.

I think she's having soft poops again(i'm currently waiting for her to poop to check it).
There's a thing about her poops though, even when they became normal they always had a spot on them, like a little hole or something.

I guess it's time to schedule an appointment with a new vet and see how it goes, since she never returned to normal.

Withholding veggies wouldn't really help would it?

Yuugi

Post   » Wed May 28, 2008 12:53 pm

Just to give you an idea of how the poops look like:

Sorry my camera is old!

She is drinking water, eating hay and pellets.She's the one with the greatest apetite of the herd and has been popcorning alot lately(i built them a new bigger cage).
She hasn't lost any weight either(except for 40 grams when this episode started 3 weeks ago).

I'm making a vet appointment for tommorow hopefully, if they have a spot.