Soft droppings

Yuugi

Post   » Fri May 02, 2008 9:49 am

My piggie Momo is 10 months old and has had a treatment of revolution, but both her and her companion Mimi continue to scratch alot and had some pain to the touch(especially in the rear area).
So i took them to the vet, but the cavy vet that treated them previously didn't work there anymore and another one showed up in front of me. He said that the mites should have died with one dose of revolution, so instead gave them some kind of injection and i'm not sure of what. I wanted to ask if it was Ivomec but i live in Finland for only 1 year so i haven't learned the language and my husband is the one who has to take care of the translation. He said to return for another injection in 15 days.

They went there this Tuesday, and today Momo has soft droppings, they are also shaped differently and seem to crumble easily. This morning when i weighed her she had lost 10 grams but they seem to have these weight flunctuations sometimes.I also witheld veggies from her diet for today. She is eating hay, pellets and drinking water as normal, she even popcorned a bit when i refilled the hayrack with fresh hay.

Could this be caused by the injection? Should i continue not giving her veggies until the droppings return to normal? I found another small animals vet, now that the previous one doesn't work at the clinic anymore, and she said that it could be caused by the injection and if she doesn't get better by tommorow to take her there.

I'm so worried :<

EllieMom

Post   » Fri May 02, 2008 9:53 am

I think your new vet is giving you good advice. Do make sure that Momo is eating and drinking. You want to keep things moving through, and don't want her to get dehydrated. Please keep us posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 02, 2008 10:05 am

Unless you find out what the first vet injected, we have no idea if they are related. If it was ivermectin, that definitely does not cause soft droppings.

Yuugi

Post   » Sat May 03, 2008 6:23 am

Good news, this morning her poops were back to normal and she got to eat her morning veggies. Boy, was she happy :D!

Yuugi

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 11:23 am

Well unfortunately she has soft droppings today again. She was fine this morning. However i fed 1/4 of a strawberry today wich was something she never had before. Maybe it was too early to introduce something new on her diet, since she had soft stools on Friday and only got better on Saturday.

I'll be calling the vet tommorow to see if he will give me information on what he injected her.

Should i not give her veggies tonight and see if she gets better by the morning?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 11:58 am

I'd withhold the veggies. If she improves, just introduce them very slowly again. No fruit for a while.

Yuugi

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 5:20 am

Thank you Mum, i followed your advice and this morning her poops were back to normal. I started introducing veggies slowly again so let's see how it goes.

My husband called the vet and he said he gave them invermectin so that's ruled out as the cause of soft poops.

Yuugi

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 7:32 am

Ok here we go again. Momo's droppings are almost at a normal shape but they are still soft if you, for example, poke it with a bit of hay.
She is now down 2ounces/50 gr from her weight-in on Saturday but she's also eating alot less veggies.

How long does it usually take for the poops to return to normal?

She already has a vet appointment scheduled for tommorow, but i always get paranoid that the vet won't know what she is doing. *sigh*

Yuugi

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 6:18 pm

Well i mashed one of Mimi's healthy poops in water and syringe feed her that. I also withdrew veggies for the night but at the moment, before i go to bed, she is down 60 grams from Saturday's weight and her poops remain tear shaped.

I don't really know what to do, i hope the vet is competent...

EllieMom

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 6:23 pm

I'm glad she's going to the vet asap. In the meantime, make sure that she's not dehydrated. That could account for some of the weight loss, and needs to be addressed. If nothing else, you can give her water with a syringe while you're waiting for the vet appointment. If you're concerned that the vet may not be up on things, you may want to take some of the Care Guide pages in with you. Like this one: diarrhea I know how worrying this can be.

Yuugi

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 7:05 pm

She's actually spending alot of time with the water bottle since this started. She's also eating alot of hay and pellets. Lately she eats a bunch of pellets and then runs to the water bottle and then back to the pellets.

I'll post here after i come to the vet to see if she has told me the right thing to do.

Yuugi

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 5:39 am

This morning Momo's droppings were normal and no longer soft. Sometimes she still poops smaller droppings than usual though.
I took them all to the vet and all got an invermectin injection, even though she did a skin scrapping and found no mites or lice, i still asked her to complete the treatment.

She said that since Momo's poop improve when i take veggies out of her diet, that i should re-introduce them slowly to her again. Since she gave the same advice as everyone in here i feel more at ease.

Thanks for all the help!