Soft droppings

Yuugi

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:00 pm

Would 20 ccs of fluids twice a week be sufficient?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:01 pm

How large is your guinea pig again? I think people generally give more to an average adult guinea pig when they are doing subcues. Maybe 30cc. Keep in mind you can also syringe lots of liquids but it is lots of work. On days you didn't do subcues, you could syringe some.

Trick

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:10 pm

I give Rosie around +15cc daily of syringed fluids and found that I could build the amount up slowly. I started with just a couple of ccs a few times throughout the day and then built it up until she was happy to take 5cc in one go. If you are careful you can use a 5cc syringe, just don't slip or you will have one very damp and very grumpy piggie!

If you have any health shops then they might have cranberry concentrate, that's where I have to hunt down mine :)

Yuugi

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:11 am

I tried hunting for some 100% natural juices everywhere, but all i could find was carrot one and i don't want to give her too much of that. So i'll be getting my hands on a juice machine and making Momo some juice(strawberry or so) to mix in with the water.

I thought i'd syringe the fluid to her like Trick is doing. Maybe 10 cc's of it everyday? And maybe on some days 20.

It worked well when i gave her some water with the carrot juice but i dropped that idea because i thought it would be too much carrot.

PS: Momo is 1.150kgs

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:51 am

You can also use juices as a flavoring. Dilute with water, syringe the diluted solution. I would aim for more than 10cc. 20cc min. (just my opinion)

Yuugi

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:24 am

Yes, but 100% natural juices right? I couldn't find those anywhere except carrot.

Yuugi

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:05 pm

Today morning i caught Momo crying when peeing again. I picked her up so i would give her some fluids and some metacam and again noticed how her vagina was quite wet and the tint of the liquid was yellowish and also whitish,like little calcium spots.

I cleaned her bottom with warm water and she hasn't cried or had a wet vagina again during the day.
I haven't found any calcium deposits on the bedding though.

We already took an x-ray and her bladder was clean,no sludge or stones.Her urine was cultured but there was no bacteria found,just calcium deposits.

I changed her diet so it's low on calcium foods,give her increased fluids and metacam on the days she cries when she pees.
The thing that worries me is the wet vagina with the weird whitish substance...Is it sludge?

Is there anything else i can do for her?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:05 pm

If it is gritty, it would be called sludge. Sounds like calcium deposits at the very least.

Yuugi

Post   » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:26 pm

Momo is a bit over 2 years old now.
She has maintained her weight without problems and is still the heaviest of the cage.

Upon my weekly dental examination i noticed her front teeth seem to be slightly overgrown and not aligned right:

I'll be taking her to the vet and ask for her to examine her molars as well, to see if they are overgrown. Should i be concerned after the filing, or do they recover fairly quick if the problem hasn't become too serious yet (no weight loss)?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Very clear picture! Let me know if you'd like it added to your thread.

If you did anything at all, you would very gently file the nub that is sticking out further. My guess is this will correct on its own. Watch how your guinea pig eats and if the mouth closes completely. Note if the jaw looks at all lopsided.

You might want to look over this page too:

www.guinealynx.info/_broken.html

Yuugi

Post   » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:38 am

She eats without any problem and she has even gained some weight on the last two weeks.

I don't really think she broke her tooth because you can see it's a thinner new section on top of the old tooth. I don't really think i'm confident enough to file her teeth even though it's so clear what section needs filing.

I'll continue observing her progress. If i see any weightloss, problems eating, open jaw or lopsided or that the tooth keeps growing i will take her to the vet then.

Yuugi

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:05 am

Momo's teeth went back to normal after a few days so it did correct itself.

However she went into heat and it has been lasting for 3 weeks. Her heat was always a normal 2-3 day thing so i got troubled. After inspecting her i noticed her nipples were quite swollen and a bit crusty at the base, and her vulva was a bit swollen as well.

Took her to the vet to check for ovarian cysts and the vet can palpate them easily. She says they are quite small though.

I asked her if we could try to manage this with HCG hormone injections, since i worry about surgery when it comes to piggies.
She said she will be ordering the hormone and we will be giving it to her in a week or so when the hormone arrives. She said that the cysts will most likely return if we just do hormone injections, but we can also give it another course if they do return.
I basically want to try to manage this without resorting to surgery, if possible.

She'll also be getting another x-ray because she keeps crying when she pees or poops. Last x-rays showed no stones, and urine culture came out negative for bacteria. However a year has passed and she still has some trouble passing poops or pee once in awhile, so it's worth taking another x-ray.

I suspect she might have I.C since it seems to come and go, and usually flares up more when she is in heat(she's been in heat for 3 weeks so it has been worse).
I have I.C myself so i can relate a bit. Poor Momo.