Soft droppings

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:14 pm

We're dealing with soft poops too, but not soft enough to be tear-shaped. Our vet said unlike humans, soft poops in pigs means things are going through the intestinal tract too slowly instead of too fast.

She gave Elle a motility drug to make her intest. tract function better, but we're almost done and no change. I'll talk to the vet soon. Also we gave them a stool sample which was normal.

So I don't have any answers but I wanted to bring up the motility subject.

Yuugi

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:48 am

I called the vet a few weeks back and she said that she wouldn't do a fecal because there was no bacteria that could cause the poops to be deformed.
I don't really have any other vet to go to, because i've covered all the vets in this town and this one was the best.

The thing is, Momo is crying when she poops now. Not always,but i've caught her doing it a few time these last few days.
I checked her poops right after she's done and there's no blood, she didn't pee either, they just have some sort of a little head.

I'm taking her to the vet again, what should i expect the vet to do? X-Rays, should i demand a fecal analysis, etc.?

Yuugi

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:10 am

Little update here:

I lined the cage with white towels and waited until Momo would pee. Both times she peed she cried a little, so i guess she's crying while peeing and not pooping (i saw her ingest cecal feces without any crying as well).
There was no blood in the urine though.

I'm taking her to the vet and asking if they could do an x-ray to rule out kidney stones, and going to keep observing her to see if she cries while pooping as well.

Yuugi

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:15 pm

I called the vet and they only have time for Friday,is it ok to wait this long?

I kept observing her and she hasn't cried again when she pees.

So far her symptoms seem to be : Deformed poops sometimes,like it was hard for her to pass them, sometimes a bit soft as well and now crying a bit when peeing.
I am starting to feel like she may have bladder stones, but let's see what the vet will do on Friday, i'm just paranoid about these things.

Yuugi

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Last post about this, i swear.
I just caught her crying while pooping as well. So basically she cries while doing both peeing and pooping but not everytime.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:18 pm

Could well be stones.

moodysmom

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:57 pm

I found this very interesting. Our third piggy, Valentine, also had similar poops and has cried when he poops. I took him to the vet to be examined, but there was nothing apparent (no gas no visible stones). I have noticed that he does better when he has lots of hay in his diet.

I will be trying a mix of cranberry juice and water to see if there are some small stones in his bladder that need dissolving per the vet's suggestions (after Chiqui's surgery we are through our vet bill budget). The thought is that if he has some minor stones they may be causing discomfort when our Valentine urinates or poops.

We have probiotic too, so I may ask about that.

Yuugi

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:23 pm

I've been watching her throughout the evening and she hasn't made any more crying sounds(she seems to pee often though).

I'm just going to stay positive and think that, no matter what the outcome, we will get trough this.
I will update on her as soon as i arrive from the vet on Friday.

Yuugi

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:55 am

Took Momo to the vet this morning. The vet palpated her lower abdomen and said her bladder was soft and she didn't seem to be in any pain, then she asked if i wanted to have an x-ray to rule out stones and i immediatly said yes(i was happy the vet suggested this on her one without me mentioning anything).

Then i was concerned about sedating Momo, but the vet said that's not always necessary and that me and my husband could be in the x-ray room with Momo ,and hold her while the x-ray was being taken. Momo behaved really well and the x-ray came out perfect.

The vet found no stones, she showed us her x-ray and we could clearly see a clear bladder(and her breakfast also in her intestines,hehe).
So now i am in charge of getting an urine sample for culture and bring it on Monday. I guess Momo will have a very extended lap-time on Sunday evening!

Also i was surprised at the vet bill wich was just 25€,x-ray included!
I'm sooo relieved!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:40 am

Good news about no stones. How lucky you are. X-rays are the one procedure my vet will not let me be in the same room for.

Come on Momo, pee for the humans right on cue. : )

Yuugi

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Me and my husband had to put a protective vest,but i think it's soo much better for the animal to feel their owners next to them.

Momo was still terribly scared,but if she wasn't she wouldn't have behaved that well hehe.

Yuugi

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:40 am

Momo's urine culture came back and there was no bacteria. The vet explained that there was a bit of calcium compounds but nothing that would explain her pain.

Momo's pain seems to come and go, for example yesterday i fed her some romaine in the morning and she cried the whole morning. At the end of the day she was still crying a bit and when i picked her up and checked her vagina i could see it was full of calcium deposits around it.

I really have a feeling she has interstitial cystitis because food seems to trigger it,and there's days where she doesn't cry at all.

Also there was no infection or stones.