Help for Casper - deaf/blind white baby with teeth problems

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 8:06 pm

I would avoid getting Pig spayed unless there is a reason to do so. All pigs have a chance of getting cysts, but really that is just a chance and nothing more. In my opinion there are far greater chances with loosing her on the operating table. None of my girls are spayed and all are healthy.

Great news on Casper though. Dosage does sound high, Buttercup who was slightly smaller than a kg at the time was on 0.2mls.

Good Luck with Casper!

Caspersmom

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 8:18 pm

My mistake, it is .072, which is what I'm giving her. It's great to hear about other lethals living long lives - Casper does the same thing as Lily, sleeps out in the open but knows when I'm there for sure!

Yes my vet is very experienced (Rabbit Medicine in Perth Australia) - her specialty is rabbits, pigs, mice and rats, but I will re-think the spaying and do some research. It sounded like a good idea to me because Casper is maturing and was harrassing her mom for a few days last week - rumblestrutting, chasing and otherwise being a brat. Things are calm now but Pig doesn't really like Casper (nips at her when she comes too close but doesn't break skin) so I thought if she was spayed, things would be more mellow.

As she's gained a few grams, I've stopped feeding critical care - I make a pellet mash and leave that out for her, which she eats along with small bits of dry pellets.

Do you think her mom needs to bite food to keep her teeth in shape? Should I put big chunks of food in for her mom (her teeth are great) or is it ok for her to get the small slices of food that Casper gets?

I'm also worried because I'm leaving Casper in my husband's care while I go home to Canada for almost three weeks in a few days - I've tried to change my ticket but no luck. He's going to have a very explicit to-do list but he's at work for 12 hours a day, then has to take care of the dogs, cats, pigs and bunny before and after work.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 8:29 pm

Yeah I agree Dr Vickeridge is very experienced, and in the end the spaying option is your choice but I just want to make sure it is an educated choice. Spaying doesnt change the behaviour of the pig just prevents them from reproducing and getting cysts. http://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

I actually have to head out to Dr V now but I will be back soon and will try to answer your other questions. :)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 9:44 pm

I may be misunderstanding here, but why is Casper's mom being spayed if Casper is a female?

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 9:46 pm

To make sure she doesnt get cysts and to help with hormonal problems I think.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 11:12 pm

Some pigs do not like pigs with special needs. It drags the herd down to have a blind, deaf pig. Suzi never liked Einstein.

Jackie, on the other hand, adored his brother, because that meant he got lots of pellet mash to slurp up!

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 11:47 pm

She's very cute. Looks much like Patrick, a lethal I was able to care for during his short life. They really make you get attached.

Good luck with her. Hope she has a long life with you.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat May 10, 2008 2:59 am

Mom needs hay for her teeth. It's fine if she eats Casper's shredded food as long as Casper is getting enough, too. She probably just doesn't like having a handicapped pig in the herd. You said she wouldn't nurse Casper, didn't you? Spaying her won't change that.

Enjoy your trip to Canada! I'm sure your husband will take special care of Casper. Men have a way of doing that when no one's looking.

Caspersmom

Post   » Wed May 28, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi, I just wanted to give an update on Casper, and ask a few more questions. I was in Canada for over 2 weeks, my guy did a great job taking care of Casper - I could tell right away as she looks twice as big! She gained about 100 grams while I was gone, and is 425 g now.

I took her to Vickeridge for a check-up - she filed down her front tooth (which is now discoloured at the end, kind of brown, but she thinks that may be normal for a tooth that doesn't grind down properly. The root has enamel and is fairly white still). Her back teeth haven't grown back over her tongue yet but she diagramed it in Casper's chart and wants to see her two weeks.

Casper charmed the vet techs with her tameness and adorableness. She's really got a way with winning people over, everyone who's met her has fallen for her, from great big Aussie guys who cuddle her in their hand with a look of wonder in their eyes, to neighbours who volunteered to come over every day while I was gone to take Casper outside for some supervised play!

I've postponed getting Pig spayed till I'm fully informed on it.

1st question: The bottoms of Casper's back feet are fairly red, so the vet suggested liquid bandages to protect her from bumblefoot: is this right?

2nd question: Casper makes a 'screechy record' sound, quietly, when I'm cuddling her, like a needle back and forth on an album. Her eyes will be closed and her legs stretched back behind her, so she looks very comfortable, but I can't figure out what this noise is. I'm hoping it's a happy noise but please let me know if you've heard this one before!

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 1:48 am

I'm glad Casper is doing so well. I can't answer your questions, but do you think maybe her voice just sounds strange because she is deaf?

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 2:10 am

It's good to hear she's doing well! I don't have any answers for you, either, but if she's relaxed and doesn't flinch, it's probably a happy noise.

I would think keeping her feet clean and dry would be enough to prevent bumblefoot, but I'm not sure.

Caspersmom

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 4:23 am

Well Casper 'wheeks' and rumblestruts and makes other GP noises normally, so I'm not sure about her voice being different - though maybe she's created her own language?

She's on towels and fleece in a C&C cage, I'm going to change the bedding daily for now.