Help for Casper - deaf/blind white baby with teeth problems

Caspersmom

Post   » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 am

Here's Casper's front tooth 5 days after the vet shaved it down with a dental drill, note the angle on it. She's getting her molars done in a few days. She does not like being forced to pose for photos! I'll post an 'after' photo in the Cavy Chat random pig pics thread.

Here's a photo of the metal file I use on Casper's front tooth if necessary between vet visits - it's from a men's travel kit.

babytulip07

Post   » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Maddie just got her teeth filed too. She has the top two and one bottom one. Let me know how filing it yourself goes Caspersmom, if I can file Maddie's front teeth without paying $80 for the vet to do it that would be awesome.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:34 pm

Caspersmom, would you like me to add these pics to your thread? I can do so if you wish.

Caspersmom

Post   » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:37 pm

yes, thanks Lynx!

It only costs me $20 for the incisor trim at the vet (it would cost me $22 for a nail clip!!) and it's $58 for molar shaving with the anaesthetic. Does Maddie have a Beverly Hills vet ;-)

I was thinking that it's easier for me to file this tooth than other people because it's small and pointy, not like a normal pig's tooth.

I sit Casper on my lap facing away from me and pat her till she's all relaxed. I also stroke her tooth, which sticks out between her lips. Then I slide the file (at a bit of an angle) across her tooth gently (holding her head if necessary, but making the head-holding more like a pat than a restriction - as soon as I try to hold her down she struggles). I do this 3 or 4 times, making sure there's no sharp edges left.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:57 pm

It's probably also a weak, wimpy tooth because she's a lethal.

Caspersmom

Post   » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:05 pm

It really is a weak, wimpy lethal tooth! I took a look at her mom's teeth and filing those down would be a real challenge in comparison!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks! I added them for you.

babytulip07

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:48 pm

Haha no I don't have a Beverly Hills vet, they'd be a little far for me since I live in South Carolina! The $80 is with anesthesia and molar trim although I was told her molars are abnormally small so I don't know what they are trimming. I think they just use the anaesthesia so they don't have to hold her down.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Just because they're small doesn't mean they're growing in at the right angle without sharp points.

Caspersmom

Post   » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:03 am

Just got back from the vet with Casper - she has head tilt, which the vet said was most likely from the following:

1) tooth problems (not likely as oral check was fine, she didn't need any teeth trimming today)

2) EC (can't remember the name, a disease caught from rabbits - possible as we have rabbits in the same room, so Casper has Panacur to take for 10 days, and the rabbits have Panacur too.)

3) Tooth abcess (again possible - we did an x-ray and it looks like her front molars are growing in to the bone, and another tooth is growing completely the wrong way, so Casper has Bactrim to take, as well as Metacam 3x/day)

It was a bit overwhelming so I'm sorry if I'm a bit hazy on all the details. I'm to call the vet if her head tilt gets any worse, otherwise check in with them in 5 days.

The vet's office had a lethal born there yesterday - they were all excited for Casper & I to come in today to see it, hoping we would adopt it (of course we would!) but the poor thing died in the night. It had a white brother who's not a lethal, but I'm not getting any boys.

Any advice/threads I can read on head tilt?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:42 am

EC probably is E. Cunniculi.

Paralysis
Discussion about E. Cunniculi, with some informative links.

Head Tilt:
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#ear

Maddie the lethal

Behavioral Change/Head Tilt

Minipig's malaise??

Max my head tilt guinea pig

Caspersmom

Post   » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:12 am

thanks, Tracis, much appreciated!