Help for Casper - deaf/blind white baby with teeth problems

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Casper is adorable. There is something really special about these little blind, deaf ones that really gets to everyone. They are such a delight to have in our lives.

Lily has the red feet too, and I suspect it could be that she has some heart issues. People with high blood pressure have red hands and feet from what I understand. I wouldn't worry about bumble foot if she is on fleece and towels. Some heart pigs get it because they are sitting still so much, but if she is active she should be fine. Vitamin E oil can keep her little feet soft.

She is probably making happy noises, but can only feel it, not hear herself. Lily wheeks at the strangest times and is very loud because she can't hear herself but she acts like a normal pig when it comes to veggie time. She does have some trouble finding her treats when I hand feed her and sleeps outside her house a lot, since I'm not sure she cares that she is out in the open, unlike the sighted pigs.

Casper is so lucky to have such a wonderful home and care givers.

babytulip07

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Yes they do talk a lot don't they! Maddie talks all the time, she has a very loud and high pitched wheek which is usually reserved for veggie time. She can smell when I put the veggies in the cage and will wheek until I pick her up and put her in front of the plate. She doesn't even try to find it herself anymore. She just stands up on the grids (usually facing the wall which is hilarious) and wheeks till I pick her up.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Casper sure is getting big! I'm so glad you're having success in caring for her. She sure is pretty.

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 5:01 pm

She just stands up on the grids (usually facing the wall which is hilarious) and wheeks till I pick her up.

How cute is that!! AWWW doesn't that just make your heart melt.

Out of curiosity, how did you all come about these deaf/blind lethals? I read the story on Casper coming from pregnant momma but what about others who have deaf/blind lethals? They are really lucky to have people to take care of them.

I bet the bunny fur makes her feel like she has a GP companion.

babytulip07

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Maddie is possibly the sweetest pig I have ever met, maybe its just because she can't seem to bond with another pig so she's bonded with me. She calms down immediately if I pick her up, especially if I scratch in between her ears. Everyone who meets her loves her, like Casper. Just ask Jennicat, she's only met Maddie once when she was part of the train to bring her here and she's in love!

I rescued Maddie from a shelter in VA when I was still running the SCGPR. She is a santuary pig but is integrated with the rest of my herd.

Here is the story of how she came to be with me:
http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43685&highlight=lethal

And her med thread:
http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44366&highlight=lethal

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Lily does the wheek at inappropriate times thing, like 2:00AM and also hangs on to the grids at the back of her cage for treats. I tap on the bars to let her know I am there and she comes running over for treats. She totally freaks when I touch her and when I pick her up. It startles her.

How do you pick up Casper and babytulip07, how do you pick up Maddie without startling her?

I adopted Lily from Wee Companions because she was not really adoptable and they needed the room so they can pull more shelter pigs. Lily had been at the rescue for 2 1/2years. I'm not sure if she was born there or was part of a dump.

I have been trying to bond Lily with other pigs but so far it hasn't worked. She had a cage mate who died, so was once bonded. I think it may be because she doesn't see or hear the body language from the other pigs. Have you tried Casper with anyone?

babytulip07

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Maddie gets startled easily too if she is asleep but she usually knows when I'm around if she is awake, I guess she can smell me. I blow on her to let her know I'm there, it makes her alert enough to smell me. I still startle her occasionally though.

I have 4 other females in the same cage as Maddie, I was hoping she'd bond with one of them but they don't really know how to treat her. I agree LAWomans, I think its because she doesn't react to the othe pigs body language.

She is better now then she was. She came into the shelter by herself so that leads me to assume she has been alone her whole life. At first she didn't interact with my other girls at all, but now she is a lot more normal. She'll rumblestrut and fuss at them, which is really funny sometimes because she will do it when none of the other pigs are around.

Caspersmom

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 7:36 am

I blow towards Casper too so she knows I'm there (otherwise she would hit the roof when I pick her up). My horrible breath lets her know I'm about to get her!

Casper is still with her mom Pig about 3/4 of the time. Casper likes to be around Pig and Pig tolerates her faintly (except when Casper goes inside Pig's Pigloo).

Casper rumblestruts by herself too, for no good reason (just playing the hoodlum I presume!). It's amazing how similar these lethals are - sleeping out in the open, facing the back of the cage, being adorable to humans but not to other GPs... I think that if I had another lethal they would get along great but normal pigs are just too, well, normal...

PiggieMamaKelly

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:36 am

What a delightful and heartwarming thread! Casper is a real cutie (the bunny picture is adorable) and she seems to be doing so well. The image of a poor blind piggie standing up against the grids facing the wall is a riot!!

Casper really hit the jackpot when she was born into your home!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:08 pm

I always used to put my fingers in front of Einy's nose, especially if I had to wake him up, so he could smell me and know "oh, that's grandma and she's going to cuddle me or give me something yummy!"

klynne

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:53 pm

When my deaf bunny was asleep (and therefore did not see me coming) I would vibrate my fingers on the floor to let her feel that and be less startled.

crazycheryl

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:31 pm

She just stands up on the grids (usually facing the wall which is hilarious) and wheeks till I pick her up.
Maybe that's a blindness thing as Mokuchan (my blind boy) faces the wall and wheeks when he knows food is coming!

Thanks also for the tip of blowing gently to let them know you're there. I always scare the crap out of Moku-stud when I go to pick him up. I can't believe I never saw that tip before! <off to apologize to the little guy>

Caspar is an adorable pig. Best of luck with her and wishes for a long and happy guinea life!

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:08 pm

What a great idea the blowing on them is. I hadn't thought of that and I'll try it tonight.

I am amazed Lily is so good at finding the door to her house even if I happen to change its location. I tap on the grids to "call" her over for treats but sometimes she goes to the back of the cage or the side, but she eventually figures it out. I think these little ones must be smarter than the other “normal” pigs because they have to adapt and figure things out. Normal pigs just hear the refrigerator door open and they run over for treats.

I would love to see Casper rumble strutting! How cute is that? I had a really good animal communicator talk to Lily when I first got her and she said Lily thinks everyone is like her and she is very happy in her own, quiet world. She seems very self confident. I guess if she can't see or hear the scary things then she isn't afraid. The out of sight out of mind thing.

Caspersmom

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:30 pm

Maybe they should be called Fearless Whites instead of Lethal Whites!

When I put Casper back in her cage after feeding her (sometimes during the meal too) I put her in her litterbox and she pees and poops right away, then charges around her cage doing laps and squeaking excitedly. She runs in and out of the pigloos a few times each, through the cardboard tube, under the stepstool, through the tunnel into the litterbox, all at full blast, popcorning and being a general terror (she'll run right in to Pig, popcorn and spin around and take off before Pig can nip at her). I try to keep everything in the same spot for her but even if something has moved (like Lilly finding her door) she figures it out right away and remembers the change.

Great news on Casper, she officially hit 1 lb a few days ago and is holding there. My one pound pig!

Now I need to start thinking about other issues Casper could face, which I've kind of been in denial about. I'vegot the feeding and teeth trimming under control, so what else do I need to know about? Does she sound like a heart pig? What do I need to know about this?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Sounds like she has lots of energy! Read over the heart page for signs that there could be a problem. It doesn't sound like she does right now though.

gl/heart.html

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:20 pm

Casper is so adorable. These little piggies are very, very special. I'm so glad you're more encouraged now. When I first read what your vet said about "there's nothing I can do, she's going to die" I was very disappointed. Of course she will require special care, and her life will not be as long as others, but as you are seeing, she can have a wonderful quality of life. We'd love to see more pictures of her over in Cavy Chat's random pig pictures thread!

cavykatie

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:27 pm

She is so adorable! I'm so glad she has you to care for her.

The photo with the bunny is so cute, too. I would be careful, though, since rabbits can easily accidentally injure guinea pigs quite badly- even kill them. One kick is all it takes. That being said, I think very very closely supervised visits, like that one in your lap, are probably safer- although there are no guarantees.

Best wishes for Casper, you're her guardian angel for sure!

babytulip07

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:17 am

charges around her cage doing laps and squeaking excitedly
Maddie does that too occasionally, I have to keep watch when she does that though. Sometimes something will scare her and she runs around out of fright rather than out of happiness. Then I'll pick her up until she calms down. I change the cage around everytime I clean it, she's never had a problem finding anything.

Maddie just about gave me a heart attack the other day. My cage is a 2x6 connected to a 2x4 in an L-shape with a 2x3 upper level. Two of the grids under the upper level flip up so that I can reach underneath. I usually leave those grids up so I can interact better with the pigs.

The other day I went to check on Maddie and I couldn't find her anywhere in the cage. I freaked, where could she possibly have gone? My cage is on a stand, assuming she could climb over the 6 inch choro side, its still a 14 inch drop to the ground not including the 6 inches of the side.

So I'm looking everywhere and I finally look under the cage and there she is, in a corner happily munching on some fallen hay. She has done this twice already, now I keep the flap closed at all times.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:59 pm

I love the name Fearless Whites! Lily is more fearless than any of my sighted pigs and nothing really fazes her. I vacuumed her cage the other day and she darted into the vacuum, but just went "oh, well something big in my cage". She has been moving her hay box around lately so I put it back where I had it before and now she leaves it alone. They certainly have their likes and dislikes about their cage.

When she put her head through the grid and got it stuck, I put up a mesh grid. She refused to come out of her house and wouldn't go near it. For some reason she didn't like the mesh. It's interesting she could tell the difference right away without even trying to touch it with her nose or climb on it. Maybe they have extra ESP.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:57 pm

Einy jumped out of the cage a couple of times too. When it was time for the boys to be separated from Suzi, at first I had a divider down the middle of the cage. That worked for Jackie, but Einy was a little bit smaller, and kept getting through. I would come home from class and find him nursing happily and Suzi looking angry. So I put up a piece of coroplast to block off the divider. Einy went through the side, along the coroplast in front (I had cubes inside the coroplast), and into the other side. So I cable tied the coroplast in front to the cubes, at the divider. The next day I came home and Einy had climbed through the cubes, and not being able to get to the Dairy Queen (Suzi), he went up and over the coroplast, fell 3 feet onto thin carpet, and was exploring the floor of my bedroom.

Yeah, then I adopted Cuddles, and her pet store cage became Einy and Jackie's temporary home until Einy was large enough not to go through cubes, and they could have their own C&C.

422 posts