Mr. Piggy Hooting

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Lots of good vibes being sent to Mr. Piggy.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:51 pm

Same here!!! Sending healing vibes too!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:25 pm

So, we are starting with some Lasix. She's calling it in to the pharmacy. At the end of the week we will start Enalipril (sp?) or the generic thereof. I'm hoping I will be able to get him off of the Lasix at that point but we'll see.

He may be only 6 1/2. I feel like I've had him for 3 years but maybe it's only 2. I'll need to go back and look on his placement thread. Still...he's gettin' up there!

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:38 am

Good luck STF. I hope it helps. Let us know how it goes. If it turns out that it helps Mr. Piggy, I'll have to try the same thing for Spike.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Ok, I just picked up his furosemide from the pharmacy. Before I open it and give him a dose I need some experts to weigh in here.

The bottle is Furosemide Oral Solution 10mg/ml. I am to give him .2 mls every 12 hrs. What concerns me the most is it says it contains 11.6% alcohol. Is this the med I should be giving him?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:21 pm

I was just reading up on my George's thread and it seems the stuff I have is the orange "yucky" stuff. Damn. Should I try it? I wonder if they'd take it back since I've left the store with it? I have not opened it.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:36 pm

Legally I don't think they can.

I think the orange yucky stuff is standard. I'm pretty sure that's what we had for Bonita and Toby. They seemed unfazed by the 11.6% alcohol, but see what others say first.

Or: call down there right quick, someone may still be there??

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:59 pm

Too late. They close at 8:00

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:09 pm

The alcohol won't affect him. The LB had the same stuff with no ill effects.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:06 pm

Well, he's been on the Lasix for a week now. OMG, he's a different pig already! He is living in a cage below Murphy and Marleau. It's on the floor but I had the front open, just coroplast about 5-6" high. The bugger has been climbing out of his cage! This was the same pig that, last week, had to lay down to eat his pellets!

So, I put the rainbow grid in front of the coro which added about 2 more inches to the height. I was clipping other pigs nails, sitting on the floor in front of his cage and little Mr. NoseyPants climbed over that too!

I can't imagine what he's gonna be like once we start benazepril. I'll have build Fort Knox to keep him in! BTW, the vet is calling in the rx tonight so I should have that for him soon. Then we will begin to try and wean him off of Lasix.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm

Very good news! Yay for Mr. Piggy. :)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:00 pm

How cool! Good news indeed! I hope the heart meds do the trick for him!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:00 pm

Way to go Mr. Piggy!! Keep it up guy.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:31 pm

When you have time (ha!), please write his case up for the heart stories sticky. Here's yet another example of *trying* the medication, and look at the difference.

PigHerder

Post   » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Please be VERY careful about weaning him off of the Lasix!

My Peeky died because her dose was not high enough. Yet her dose was high enough to make her initially feel better and for her bare spots to fill in with hair.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:42 am

YAY for Mr. Piggy! I'm so glad he's feeling better. Now that he's feeling up to it, he just wants to go walkabout.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:40 am

Yeah T, "ha" is right!

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:59 am

I'm glad Mr. Piggy feels better! Now I know I may eventually have to go down this road with Spike. I'm almost positive he's a heart pig now. :(

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:47 pm

Ditto PigHerder.

Lasix can be a tricky med to work with. It does put a load on the kidneys, but you don't want excess fluid returning to the lungs or heart cavity. Watch him closely as you begin the weaning/moving to the heart med process.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:26 am

Duly noted. Can I clone myself? One for upstairs, rescue pigs and one for my own herd? :)

129 posts