Rescue pig Piglet

lisam

Post   » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:47 am

Piglet had quite a long seizure while I was weighing her the other day. I discovered that one reason she's so gunky is that she seems unable to reach under and get her cecal poops.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Do you think she has nerve damage in her hip/leg area? Maybe it's extremely painful when it's touched or when she stands up to reach under.

lisam

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:17 pm

Piglet continues to get really gunky and is always smelly. Whenever I bathe her or attempt to remove the clumps she seizes. Two days ago she was bleeding quite a bit from her vaginal area--not sure if it's a urinary thing or a uterine thing. I started her on Bactrim, and today she goes in to the vet.

She's fat and happy, but I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be a quality of life question for her. Will it come to a point where the seizures will kill her?

EARPS Indy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:59 pm

Is it possible that she has developed a bladder infection? It wouldn't account for the seisures but might account for the smelly bottom.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:02 pm

Is she on anything that might help with seizures? I'm thinking maybe if you could give her a dose of valium an hour before you try to clean her off, she might not seize.

lisam

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:24 pm

Vet found bacteria in the urine. She says that in humans sometimes urinary tract infections will aggravate seizures, so we are hoping that taking care of the infection might help. She also wants to try a Chinese herb that's known to help dogs with seizures and will let me know when she gets some in.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:01 pm

I wish you the best clearing it up.

47 posts