Three just north of Atlanta, GA have until Tuesday

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:30 am

Also, do you have a physical copy of that xray with you? If you do, bring it with you to the vet. If not, bring a floppy or thumb drive or something with the digital copy.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:06 pm

They are the same place that did the original films so they will have it. They remembered her.

I have left her there. They are going to do another set of films and ultrasound to determine if baby is ready to come. It sure was kicking around alot while I was there!

If it looks like it's ready, the surgeon is there (the one Talishan has so much faith in) today and she can do a c-section.

If it looks like we have more time I think we will wait. But they don't want me going into the weekend and have an emergency. They'd prefer to take it out now if it looks in position.

My stomach is in knots. I can't get ahold of Talishan. She works until the wee hours of the morning and is still sleeping. I hope I am making the right decisions here.

Feylin

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:24 pm

That all sounds like the right things to do to me. The vet is a good one and can do whatever Mama Mia needs.

I'll think good thoughts for Mia and her baby.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Too late to edit but this may or may not be the surgeon T has high accolades about. I know she listed her as a choice of doctors on my "emergency sheet". Gosh, I hope Mia will be ok.

I am running out to walk some dogs now so an update will not be for several hours. I will do so as soon as I get home though.

Jennicat

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Oh, I'm so worried about sweet Mia! Good thoughts are being sent southward!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:04 pm

Sending good thoughts for Mia and the little one.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:51 pm

Just talked to the doctor. Mia and baby are doing well. They did a C-Section and spayed her while they were in there. Baby seems to be nursing. Mia was still a little groggy from anesthesia but starting to roam around and pick at hay.

I will pick them up around 6:00 pm Eastern time.

One concern and it may be a while before we know for sure...doctor said baby is all white. George has roaning in him. Cross fingers baby is not a lethal. If it is, Maddie (babytulips lethal) may have a new roommate!! Hahaha.

Jennicat

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Hooray that Mia is doing well and nibbling at hay, fingers crossed for no lethal babies!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 pm

!@#$%^&*&^%$%## pager didn't wake me up like it was supposed to (and has done in the past).

StF, I'll give you a public apology here for not being reachable. You did make all the absolutely 100% correct decisions IMO. I'm just sorry you had to go through all this by yourself.

Baby is 70 g -- not great but not a disaster. Everyone please wish Mia and pup the best.

This is the first C-section this vet has done on a guinea pig (she's done 'every other species' so she was reasonably confident she could at least give it a damn good try if needed). So now she has the experience (and hopefully won't need it again anytime soon).

Not only was the baby's head huge, but s/he was positioned sideways somehow. The vets felt that even if her pelvis and ligaments separated properly, she'd still have a very difficult time (read: not a very good chance) delivering properly.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:28 pm

Here's wishing them both the very best. Sounds like the C-section was the way to go.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:36 pm

Oh. My. God. Y'all. This baby is sooooo tiny. I had to laugh when T said it's head was huge! I am a nervous wreck. Mia's maternal instincts have not kicked in yet. She is not curious about where baby is. I have Baby in one of Baby Nellie's old sacks on a warming pad.

There was a tense moment at the vet's about 1/2 hour before I picked them up. Baby began breathing very heavy with it's mouth open and trying to stretch out. Lasix was given and they stimulated it in their hands. It came around. I am scared sh*%less! I want this little pup to make it so badly. It's so tiny.

Oops. ETA the pictures!

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:58 pm

Well, he or she is going to be a darling little PEW abby. You can see the rosettes on the tiny little backside. Best of wishes.