New rescue - Clementine

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:47 pm

StF, we both need to watch our backs, all the way down here!

*dissolving in laughter at Bethie's post*

Jennicat

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:13 pm

Clementine does not think you are taking her suffering seriously.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:33 pm

Tell Clemm we are taking her suffering very seriously and all of us wish her the best of health, no itching, and a beautifully new coat of fur.

It's her ... ummm ... clothed appearance we're not taking seriously.

piggie mom

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:49 am

Come to the mountains, Clementine. Like Heidi in the alps, our mountain air is curative and I promise a wordrobe of glad rags only!

Jennicat

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:52 am

Still having trouble with Clem itching one spot, and I can't keep it wrapped. The last and final bad spot is right behind her ears on the bald (or "kissing") spot. Yesterday when I'd gotten home from work, she's gotten it open again (and partially removed her sweater to boot). To wrap it, I think I'm going to have to wrap down her ears.

I think that the scabs there are what's making her itch. I bathed her last night, gave her a nice oatmeal soak, and then sat and removed a ton of the scabs to see if that would help. On the positive side, though it was really really gross having to deal with all the scabs, none of them had open wounds underneath, all had fresh, new skin!

Clemmy already has an adoptive home with piggie mom and her beautiful boy Ben (whom she already adopted for ACRS), so I want her well ASAP so she can go and be loved on and treated like the princess she is.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:30 pm

Hurray for Clementine! Pictures! We must see how lovely she's healing. How lovely that you already have found a home for her.

klynne

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:53 pm

That's great news!

Have you tried some 1% hydrocortisone cream, on that one spot? Can't imagine she'd be able to ingest it, from there.

Jennicat

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:07 pm

That's a good thought, klynne! I'll try some of that tonight. I made her a new sweater with a different type of sock, and used the ribbed part as the neck hole. It's a little longer, so I'm hoping that'll deter her at least a little.

piggie mom

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Is the hydrocortisone (steroid ) cream safe to use with metacam?

Jenn- were you able to find Bag Balm?

Ingredients
8-Hydroxyquinoline Sulfate 0.3%; Base: Petrolatum; Lanolin

A 10 oz tin costs about $8.00 and is available at Walgreens and Walmart and CVS. Even cheaper from Amazon ($5.62)

If you like, I'll be glad to order and ship to you- just email me a shipping address.

klynne

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Yes, it's topical and they don't really absorb the steroid, worried new piggy mom ;-)

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:07 pm

I've been using Panalog on Panda and all of his sores are healed. It apparentley has some steriod in it, and is safe with Meticam. I think it is the injectable steriods you can't use with Meticam.

I don't give him baths because it seems aggravate the itching. My vet recommended not to for that reason.

Can you get Panalog?

Suisan

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:17 pm

I've read before that Bag Balm on guinea pigs is not a great idea. Lynx posted this link recently: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 037#103037

If it were me, I'd not worry too much about the bag balm, but stick with what's working. (Funny socks and all)

I've used bag balm a lot around horses and on my own wounds -- I've found it to be greasy, sticky, and strangely drying all at the same time.