New rescue - Clementine

ShireenL

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:21 am

She is such a darling. I'm so glad she found you. Sending all my wishes for the sweetie, that she'll recover well.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Poor baby! I'm glad she found her way to you!

Topaz

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:00 pm

Aw, the poor girl. I'm so glad you've got her now.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:02 pm

Thank you for helping her. She will be a beautiful pig when she's all fixed up.

Jennicat

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:12 pm

She is definitely going to be a beauty! I promised her we'd find her the best home ever for being such a good girl.

Suisan, I cannot thank you enough for the tip with the coconut oil. Poor dear looks like she fell into a coconut now, but she seems to feel so much better. Her skin was so dry and brittle that when she scratched she would tear it. Now she's itching less, and isn't damaging herself as much.

No seizures today for sweet lady!

Suisan

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Jennicat, I'm glad it helped, but I really only passed along the "combined wisdom" of the GLers. I've never used it myself, but I have sen it spoken about in glowing terms more than once.

What a relief it must be for her not to be seizuring from medicaiton! I can hardly imagine.

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:58 am

Clementine is still fighting strong.

So far we've dosed with Revolution, she's on Bactrim and Metacam twice a day, and we added itraconazole (an oral antifungal yesterday).

She's getting a coconut oil massage every 1-2 days on the driest parts of her skin to try and keep them from tearing and cracking more.

But she's still itching, and actually wakes us up several times a night wailing like a banshee while she itches. I didn't want to wrap her up because fo all the open wounds (so they could get good air circulation), but is that something I should consider?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:03 am

I think Itchy and Scratchy had steroids to help, but I think that you can't mix steroids and some pain killers.

klynne

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:17 am

I don't know if this helps, but just a reminder that this increased itching is normal, as the mites die off it causes temporary *increased* irritation to their poor skin.

SF is right, can't use steroids with the Metacam, but you could easily stop the metacam and then ask the vet for a steroid injection.

I think some folks had good success with wrapping, to keep them from damaging themselves more--but it sounds like you already kinda have that part under control and it's the actual pain and itching that remain.

I'd prob try the steroids and/or some Benedryl (children's liquid) first, then maybe wrap if you feel it's still needed.

allcreatures

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:38 am

klynne, what are the dosage instructions for Benedryl? I've never actually found a reference page for it unless I'm just blindly overlooking it.

klynne

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:50 am

Oh, yikes, lemme try to find what my vet came up with--I know he found it somewhere in Carpenter's.

It's been a while since I used it.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:56 am

From a recent thread about Benedryl:
Josephine's recommended Benedryl dose.

klynne

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:04 am

Gosh, you are good, Tracis!

I found this, from Chii: "Children's Benadryl every 6-8 hours, it was 1cc for a 1000 gram pig, so I'm thinking that you could give about that much to this one. It's supposedly very safe and stopped our pig from tearing up her skin anymore and also seemed to help the seizures"

But I was having the memory of me and my vet looking this up and being horrified at the formulary's dose--and working out something on our own.

From Tracis' link---this would explain why/how horrified we were, and looks like it's a huge error, prob. repeated in several texts:

"I looked it up in Plumb's (under it's real name which I don't have right now) and the dosage was 75 mg/kg! The dose for cats is 0.5 mg/kg."

I'd go with Josephine's dose, from that link.

It sounds very similar to what we did with the severe skin pig I was rehabbing.

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 am

Thank you everybody for all the advice, I'm going to start Benedryl tonight and see how that helps. If I ever meet the people who originally had this pig, someone is going to have to come with bail money.

klynne

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:27 am

Just to add, Jennicat, I think the sedating effects of the Benedryl help as much (maybe more so) than the antihistamine effects.

I have felt the need for bail money folks before, too. I hear ya.

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:56 am

Just as reference, here's Clementine yesterday morning:

She stays sort of "oily" looking as we battle to keep her skin from drying out.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Oh, Clementine! She has that look in her eye of hurting. Poor baby. I'm glad you've sorted her out.

I had to wrap Jasper, actually. He came to me already with open sores and while he was being treated for mites he couldn't stop scratching. I really think using an old clean sock and then vetwrap kept him from doing more damage. He used to scream in pain when he moved from the itching and the open sores. The wrapping seemed to help him move around more.

I only wrapped him for about 3 days. I took it off frequently during lap time so the sores could get some air. It really helped with the pain of living with the sores while they healed.

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:11 pm

Alright, just administered the Benedryl, crossed my fingers, and said a prayer.

I talked to my friend who makes home-made soaps and lotions today about Clementine's skin. She recommended olive oil over coconut oil, because olive oil is a humectant. She also said that coconut oil is only moisturizing up to a certain point, but once you get past that, it can actually dry the skin. I'm going to try the olive oil tonight and see if there's a difference.

happiestgirl

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:35 pm

sending good vibes for sweet Clementine!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:27 pm

She looks greasy but she looks better from your first pictures.

I will post your bail if you will save enough leftover parts of the cretin that originally had her for me to take some target practice.

92 posts