New rescue - Clementine

ShireenL

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:21 am

She is such a darling. I'm so glad she found you. Sending all my wishes for the sweetie, that she'll recover well.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Poor baby! I'm glad she found her way to you!

Topaz

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:00 pm

Aw, the poor girl. I'm so glad you've got her now.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:02 pm

Thank you for helping her. She will be a beautiful pig when she's all fixed up.

Jennicat

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:12 pm

She is definitely going to be a beauty! I promised her we'd find her the best home ever for being such a good girl.

Suisan, I cannot thank you enough for the tip with the coconut oil. Poor dear looks like she fell into a coconut now, but she seems to feel so much better. Her skin was so dry and brittle that when she scratched she would tear it. Now she's itching less, and isn't damaging herself as much.

No seizures today for sweet lady!

Suisan

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Jennicat, I'm glad it helped, but I really only passed along the "combined wisdom" of the GLers. I've never used it myself, but I have sen it spoken about in glowing terms more than once.

What a relief it must be for her not to be seizuring from medicaiton! I can hardly imagine.

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:58 am

Clementine is still fighting strong.

So far we've dosed with Revolution, she's on Bactrim and Metacam twice a day, and we added itraconazole (an oral antifungal yesterday).

She's getting a coconut oil massage every 1-2 days on the driest parts of her skin to try and keep them from tearing and cracking more.

But she's still itching, and actually wakes us up several times a night wailing like a banshee while she itches. I didn't want to wrap her up because fo all the open wounds (so they could get good air circulation), but is that something I should consider?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:03 am

I think Itchy and Scratchy had steroids to help, but I think that you can't mix steroids and some pain killers.

klynne

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:17 am

I don't know if this helps, but just a reminder that this increased itching is normal, as the mites die off it causes temporary *increased* irritation to their poor skin.

SF is right, can't use steroids with the Metacam, but you could easily stop the metacam and then ask the vet for a steroid injection.

I think some folks had good success with wrapping, to keep them from damaging themselves more--but it sounds like you already kinda have that part under control and it's the actual pain and itching that remain.

I'd prob try the steroids and/or some Benedryl (children's liquid) first, then maybe wrap if you feel it's still needed.

allcreatures

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:38 am

klynne, what are the dosage instructions for Benedryl? I've never actually found a reference page for it unless I'm just blindly overlooking it.

klynne

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:50 am

Oh, yikes, lemme try to find what my vet came up with--I know he found it somewhere in Carpenter's.

It's been a while since I used it.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:56 am

From a recent thread about Benedryl:
Josephine's recommended Benedryl dose.