piggy tumor

EllieMom

Post   » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:37 pm

It sounds like the introduction is going well. I'm so happy to hear that Elle is helping Celia feel better after losing Mathilda. I hope she helps the rest of you as well.

And, by the way, my daughter Ellie firmly supports your choice of a name for your new pig.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:25 am

Yes, she is helping us as well. Elle's an animated pig and had us laughing as we watched them tonight. Celia appreciated the extra attention from us after Tildy died, but Elle seems to be getting her out of her funk, one way or the other.

She was called Elle at the Humane Society and we thought that was just fine. But we're already calling her Ellie.

And thank you all again for the input and support since Matilda died. Most people who aren't "pigophiles" don't understand that you can grieve over a rodent. It's nice to hear from others who "get it".

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:21 am

Elle and Celia are getting along pretty well, but Elle keeps licking Celia's ear ... and licking and licking. Celia finally gets annoyed. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, I have a question about one of our past pigs. In her last few months (she was about 3 when she died) she was having sort of soft poops and kept getting them mashed into her feet. Her cage mate never had any on her feet. The vet couldn't figure out what was causing the soft poops and suggested stress from her cage mate. They weren't fighting, but never got along very well. They seemed to irritate each other somewhat. Any ideas as to what could have been wrong?

Weatherlight

Post   » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:38 am

Wow the ear-licking sounds like what my girls did. I first noticed when Sabi was sick with cancer. I asked two exotics vets about it but they had no idea. I thought mine were unique and crazy ;) I haven't seen it in a while, but then, they have their own room so I'm not around much most of the time (we keep the door shut, we have two cats--but since I miss them we're planning to remodel the house when we have the money, so I can be closer to them with windows/screens to see them while keeping the cats out).

There was one thread I remember, https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23644 (thanks tracis), where the only symptom of cancer for a while was messy poop. How long were they together when she started having the soft poops? You might want to consider necropsy when you next lose someone, although of course I hope that won't be for a very long time.

Just like with humans, sometimes gpigs don't like every other one they meet. Sometimes they fight, sometimes they learn to barely tolerate each other and at least keep each other company, sometimes they grow to love each other. You never know. I liked HRS's idea of bunny matchmaking and if I ever add more gpigs, ideally I'd like a good rescue to do multiple introductions to see who bonds best. I'd rather have somewhat-decent company than be in social isolation, but I'd much rather live with someone I love and get along great with.

For Celia, what sort of hideys do you have? When she gets bothered, can she go in a house and does Elle leave her alone then?

Oh yeah, and for two weeks before Sabi obviously deteriorated, my housemate claimed Sabi was a little slower to wake up and come out for meals, then ate a little slower. She used to be slow relative to the other two, and I couldn't see any difference when I looked--I wish I had taken his observations more seriously. We called her the "garbage disposal" since she used to be the least picky about veggies and would eat almost anything, even stuff the other two wouldn't eat. It's so hard to guess correctly whether things like that are just food preferences or something medical.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:16 pm

My daughter said when Celia gets tired of the licking she just moves her head and Elle stops for awhile. Then Elle will start again later. But they're not next to each other all the time in the cage and there are 2 houses and a covered area at the other end of the cage - plenty of room for some privacy. Maybe it's not a big deal - I was just wondering about it.

As for Maggie, our piggy with the poop problem, I guess we'll never know. I didn't know about necropsy at the time. She and Jane had shared a cage in a classroom for a school year and we had her for another year or so before the poop problem started. To me, that should rule out stress from Jane. I think the vet just didn't know what was wrong. However this same vet gave another old piggy of ours, shortly before he died, a hydrating injection for free, which I thought was very nice.

The rescue lady we got Celia and the recently deceased Matilda from actually more or less did multiple introductions, depending on how long she had the pigs. Unfortunately, she's no longer doing rescue so we just have the Humane Society of MO.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:28 pm

My daughter was just holding Elle and got poop stuff smeared on her tee shirt (from Elle's feet). She said this happens some of the time. Elle did get several blueberries, a grape, a leaf of romaine and maybe a baby carrot yesterday.

Elle has had somewhat soft poops from when we first brought her home and my girls said they looked wet on the outside. They are formed, just soft. She drinks a lot of water. I'll probably take her to the vet next week. I have tried searching the forum, but don't have much luck coming up with what I want. Is there a way to search for a phrase? I tried using quotes and it didn't work. I've read the diet reccomendations on this site.

Does anyone have experience with this poop problem? She seems happy, energetic and fine otherwise.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:12 pm

I checked the vet recommendations on this web site and found one for my area. I took Ellie in for her poop problem.

The vet gave her a motility drug (which isn't working yet) and checked for parasites, but I wanted to say THANK YOU for listing this vet. She is wonderful - SO much more knowledgeable than our previous vet, and SO nice. The office even called today to ask about how Elle's doing since her medicine is almost gone.

It's wonderful to know we finally have a vet who really knows what she's doing. Plus, one of the vets is always "on call" and will talk to a non-exotic vet at an emergency place or whatever after hours. That's reassuring.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks for the update. I am very happy to hear this vet is working out for you.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:02 pm

Update on Ellie's soft poops. The vet wants us to continue the propulsid (motility) drug for two more weeks. Also no treats of any kind.

She wants her to eat mainly timothy hay. She says to be sure more hay is being consumed than pellets, which my daughter said is the case. Hay is the most important thing for their digestive systems, apparently.

We'll see how it goes. Just wanted to pass it along for the record.

Also, and I may have posted this elsewhere (?), both our pigs had a mild case of mites, which we're treating. She says it's very unusual for a pig to come in without mites. So my other pigs (all gone now) probably had them too and our vet at the time just missed them.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:14 pm

Update on Ellie's soft poops. Now we're trying a probiotic, giving her Oxbow feed, and no treats at all. Just hay and pellets. Plus a vitamin C tablet.

She's lost a little weight, so we probably need to buy a scale. What's a good source for scales?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:19 am

Stores like Target and Walmart usually sell inexpensive small food scales in the kitchen department. Digital scales that weigh in both ounces and grams are nice.

Others have found good bargains online.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:10 am

I got a Martha Stewart kitchen scale from KMart for about $10.00. It has both ounces and grams. Discount stores (KMart, Target, Walmart, etc) will probably have scales for the lowest prices.