Help with Babies please

albi

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:28 am

Hello everyone. Thank you for your wonderful forum.

Our female Guinea Pig, Gaby, gave birth the other day which was a real surprise. Firstly, because the pet store told us that she was not fertile as she was with male Pigs for over a year without falling pregnant. Secondly, she had been with our male, Pepe, for over 6 months before anything happened.

Anyway, she gave birth to two babies, and one still birth. We left them alone with their mum for a couple of days, and handled them for the first time last night. Unfortunately upon further inspection we observed that both babies have deformed front legs. One of them has one front leg that appears normal, however the the other's front legs are both withered.

Here are some pictures. Apologies for the poor quality.

This is the one with one good leg. You can see that the other leg is shriveled.

Both of this poor guy's legs are shriveled.

They have obviously grown since birth, and look very healthy other than the legs.

Has anyone had experience with anything like this before?

If their disabilities aren't life threatening or don't affect their quality of life in any way, we will of course give them all the support they need to live as normal a life as possible.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:54 am

Have they been to a cavy savvy vet? That would be my first stop.

TCR

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:06 am

Please remove Pepe from Gaby, she may already be pregnant again. Guinea pigs go into estrus within hours of giving birth. If you have a male baby, he can get mother pregnant as early as 21 days. I agree that a vet visit to a cavy savvy vet is a good starting point.

I'll leave the more experience ones to give more advice.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:41 am

The baby with one good front leg (the back legs are normal, right?) should be okay. He may need the shriveled leg to be amputated, but most pigs do well with a missing leg.

I don't know how well the second baby will do with no working front legs.

Probably Gaby was getting pregnant frequently but miscarrying because of deformities. Definitely she should never have babies again. I would not rule out spaying, in fact.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:46 am

It's possible that some kind of physical or water therapy would help the deformed limbs be more functional.

albi

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:08 am

Hi,

Thanks for your advice and information. The Guinea Pigs have been seperated to avoid further pregnancies.

They haven't been to the vet yet as no vets are open here on the weekends. We're going to take them straight in on Monday morning.

They seem to be very happy and have already started to nibble on veges.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Kermie831

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:18 am

Poor babes - such a rough start in life, but I'm glad they are in a safe place.

I'd definately weigh them everyday to make sure they are gaining weight.

The water therapy is a great idea. (I have a 3 legged guy that does fabulous).

Does the baby with both front arms deformed have normal back legs?

Anyone with more experience think a 'Happy Cart" type set up could work for this baby? I know there have been carts built for pigs with back leg paralysis/weakness. I wonder if it could work for the front legs... hmmm...

Good luck at the vet!

Feylin

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:45 am

I would definately take mom in for an xray and possible spay! Sorry I didn't catch that your male and female were still living together. Everyone else is right- you have a high chance of babies with more deformaties unfortunately. :(

I think that if you start the water therapy early, the pigs can learn that there is nothing to be afraid of. My Henry actually likes to half swim/walk in deeper water and I think this is because he is sued to bathing and grooming from an early age before I got him (he was long haired show pig).

Good luck with your little guys. It's a great sign that they are eating and moving as much as they can.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:02 pm

albi, it would be great to have larger, more clear pics to add to this thread (details are a little difficult to make out). Should you be able to take better pics, I can add them permanently to your thread so people in the future can see firsthand some of the risks of breeding.

You obviously did not intend to have pups. The deformatives may also be influenced by diet and the growth of the fetus (poor before she got to you). You may wish to read over www.guinealynx.info/.html for some general advice.
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klynne

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:28 pm

"I can add them permanently to your thread so people in the future can see firsthand some of the risks of breading."

No. You did not just type "breading."

I agree, clearer pics would help.

The one pup with the "good" front leg looks to me like even that leg is seriously going the wrong direction.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:14 pm

Okay. I fixed it.

Bad breading causes tremendous problems in the kitchen!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:31 pm

AMEN to that Lynx!