What is a...?

Sonia

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:32 pm

Okay, I´ll give her more grass. She is moving around quite happily and the wound is looking great. She doesn´t appear to have any pain at all now, which is good too.
I just thought I´d cut back on the grass as it might be the cause of the soft droppings. It is rich spring grass and I thought too much will be a little much for her gut, but I´ll give her more if you think it will help her. She also can have as many dandelions as she wants, our garden has several as we don´t add anything chemicals to our garden anywhere, because of all our pets. In her cage she has ample Readi Grass, hard mix and pellets, water, straw and hay ( she sometimes prefers to eat straw and leaves the hay ).
Is it normal for a piggie to have soft poops so long after surgery ? Did you have this problem with Snowflake after her Spay, Lynx ? An if so, how long did it take for her to get back to normal ?

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 5:51 pm

I really have never had soft poops -- or if there were, they must have been only one or two and missed. Snowflake never had any soft poops associated with her surgery (more likely hard ones -- she ate less after surgery).

I guess I feel like the more moving through her, the faster any bug would be moved out also. I am thinking soft may be acceptable. Diarrhea of course would not be.

I didn´t feel like Snowflake had fully recovered until her incision was completely healed. She was eating fine within a week, if I remember right.

Don´t forget I´m a rank amateur. I haven´t had pigs long and only one surgery. So I´m just giving you my personal opinion.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Mar 24, 2002 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonia

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 6:36 am

Thanks Lynx. I don´t consider you a rank amateur at all. I wish I knew half as much as you and the others. I am really going to study all the medical threads, when my Piggies are a bit better and I am not sleep deprived !

I went back to the surgery today. Bramble has a temperature. Her wound is fine but she stopped eating as much as she was doing, last night. The vet thinks she has an infection. Damn! and I thought it was going well with her. The vet ( not my ususl one, as he only works a couple of days a week, sadly ) gave Baytril to both pigs, and after he injected added, " oh and I mixed it with an appitite(sp?) stimulator ". I was furious, as he didn´t say that he was going to do that. Mum tore him to strips. The chemical he gave them was called Metachloromide, although I could be wrong as he mumbled it out and then a bloodied car accident victim was rushed in and he had to go. I am really quite concerned. Aren´t those type of drugs steroid based ??? If so will it harm my pigs. I seem to remember a thing on the fact that they were bad for Gps, but can´t find it on a search. If this is the case then can anything be done for them, I mean...is it fatal ? I hate young vets who just do as they please. There will definately be another complaint going to the vets, when I go back to see my own vet tomorrow morning.

Sonia

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:13 am

Don´t worry about that drug. It is listed on Squeek Pig´s safe medications page and I seem to remember Pinta and Josephine referring to it.

Was your guinea pig given antibiotics starting right after the surgery or has she had no antibiotics in all this time? I thought I remembered you telling me she was getting injections of antibiotics.

Metaclopramide -- Stimulates appetite
Intravenous, Subcutaneous or Oral
0.2-1.0 mg/kg

Sonia

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:48 am

Piggie was getting antibiotics everytime we ent to the vets, whereas Bramble had three injections of Baytril and that was it as she was doing so well. I thought three injections were to few but they said there were no signs of infection and as she was so bright and breezy they thought they´d leave her be.

I am very very releaved to hear about the Metaclopramide. I seem to have got caught up in a phase of panicking lately. it can´t be good for my little ones, I´m sure animals can sense these things. When this phase of bad stuff is over, i´m going to sign up to a health farm, I think !!!

Sonia

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:54 am

I´m really worried about giving an incomplete roudn of antibiotics. You know how important it is to finish the whole course.

Bramble needs antibiotics twice a day for ten days. One here and one there is not what she needs, and I´m worried about resistance.

Maybe you should discuss this with your vet, because I´m REALLY not comfortable with the way he does it.

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:21 pm

Usually an injection of Baytril lasts 24 hours. At least the injection my vets give. They will inject and instruct me to give baytril orally the next day. Sometimes it´s a once a day dose - I use pills - and sometimes twice a day, from 12.5mg to 25mg a day.

Your vet should have continued the Baytril for at least a week. Since Bramble was under a lot of stress, her immune system was compromised, making it more difficult for her to fight off infection.

Your vet was fooled by how well they can hide symptoms. He needs to be told not to trust appearances.

Reglan (metoclopramide)is used to get the food moving in the gut(digestion) which makes it helpful for treating Bloat.
Last edited by pinta on Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 6:52 pm

I should have said AlsoReglan (metoclopramide)is used to get the food moving in the gut(digestion) which makes it helpful for treating Bloat.

This is to do with humans but explains what the drug does.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... 02364.html

This is to do with animals.

http://www.vin.com/PetCare/Articles/Vet ... M00600.htm

Sonia

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:23 am

I´m printing this out and am taking it with me when I get back to the vets. I did explain the whole masking thing to him, and he is very willing to listen, and act...it´s mainly his colleagues that are the problem though, even though he leaves specific instructions on the computers, they choose to ignore them, with my insistance that they follow them, they still think that I am an ignorant owner. My vet always has a go at them when I tell him what´s happened, but he isn´t the most authoritarian person. As for the baytril, I did ask repeatedly and they all said "not neccessary " I am not happy, so more complaining to be done today !!!

When you fed every hour or every two hours, did you feed right around the clock. I am absoloutely exhausted, and last night I fell asleep at 8pm, and just woke up, it´s 8:20am now, so my mother who is working today, stayed up all night to take over, as she couldn´t wake me, but she cannot do this again, as her work is very physically and mentally demanding. I don´t want to miss feeds, I just wondered if you fed throught the nights, and if so how did you cope the following days. I have just endured a bout of 12 days of sleep deprevation ( before all this, I had sleepless nights, as the pigs were in Cambridge and then I had the car crash that wrote off my car, have all taken it´s toll on me ! ). I am concerned that I might fall asleep again tonight, and might not be able to be woken. I slept so deeply that my mother rang my mobile, which was under my neck as I fell asleep chatting to a friend, which was on full volume, and I didn´t even stir. In the end my mother rolled me over and retrieved my phone, in case I´d break it, if I rolled over and knocked it to the floor. It´s so silly, but I guess I needed it the sleep, I am just drowning in guilt for my mother´s sleep deprevation now !!!

Sonia

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 7:11 am

You should be okay to leave her thru the night. She´s proven she CAN eat on her own. Just make sure her belly is full before you go to sleep.

Might prompt her to eat on her own. I think you can also cut back to less frequent feedings, just give her more at each feeding.

If you keep weighing her you´ll get a good idea of how well she´s managing on her own. The last pig we were handfeeding dropped 2 ounces overnight regularly which meant he wasn´t eating. When he satrted just dropping 1 ounce overnight it meant he was eating a bit.

If Bramble doesn´t improve on Baytril, you should switch antibiotics, she might have something resistant to Baytril. But I suspect she was just taken off the Baytril too soon.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 7:22 am

And don´t forget baytril causes some guinea pigs to go off their feed (what Pinta has described as antibiotic intolerance) so you´ll have to watch closely if that´s what you give. I used bactrim (a sulfa drug) after Snowflake´s surgery. She might not have needed it but it made me feel like I was covering all my bases. Ideally you would know exactly what bacteria was present so you could use the best drug.

The infection could have been related to the surgery and has only gradually been getting worse.

Sonia

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:03 pm

Okay, now for the next crisis...it´s never ending !!! Piggie, bless her, is feeling better. Except that now she is trying to unpick her stitches, and then when she has done attempting her´s, she reaches under Bramble, and attempts to undo her too. We´ve put in a divide to stop her inteferring with Bramble, but is there anything I can use to stop her getting at her getting at her own stitches, is there anything I can put on her stitches to put her off nibbling at them ???

Bramble is a lot brighter now, even if she has a totally bewildered look as to why we are now force feeding her too.

Sonia