Otis' Medical Thread (Polyp?)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Update: The mass in Otis' ear has not improved, and has gradually gotten larger since the original post. It did not seem to bother him until recently; this past week though, I noticed that he had lost some weight and seemed maybe a little less active. I'm not sure if it's related to the ear problem or something entirely different.

I had scheduled an appointment for first thing tomorrow for an ear check with our regular vet, but in the meantime I'm starting to grow concerned that something else is going on. A couple of times this weekend, Otis squatted and whimpered a little -- not sure if he was urinating at the time. I'm not seeing any blood, and he's not doing it often.

I do know that he has lost sight in one eye (started out as osseous metaplasia). The reduced activity *could* be because he doesn't see as well as he used to, but the crying sound is worrying. When he rests, he's not lying down but sitting in a squatting position. Not hunched up, exactly, and his fur is not fluffed up. That doesn't seem like it would be related to the ear issue.

He's eating and defecating normally.

Could use some positive thoughts for the vet tomorrow. I'll be taking his buddy Toby with him for moral support.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Fingers crossed for Otis tomorrow. I hope it's nothing serious. Please give him an extra scritch from an all blind to a half blind.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Thanks, Bugs Mom. Even husband (who usually says I'm obsessing or worrying too much), commented that Otis doesn't seem to feel well today.

Hoping Dr. M can figure out what's going on with the little guy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Crap. More crying tonight, and he's not eating his pellets. I picked him up and looked at his incisors; they look okay. I also extruded his penis, and that seemed to cause some discomfort. It didn't really look red or inflamed, nothing stuck in it; no sign of blood. Could be the start of a UTI, though.

Should I start him on some Bactrim tonight, do you think? His appt. is tomorrow morning at 8:15.

(How do these guys always seem to know when it's the holidays and your vet is getting ready to take some time off??)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:05 pm

I have no advice just crossed fingers here. Poor baby.

Topaz

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:05 pm

No advice but *positive thoughts* being sent.

I can certainly empathize. Just take it one step at a time, sef.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Thank you both. Looks like it may be a UTI (I'm not even going to think the "S" word--hoping it's "just" a urinary tract infection). I sat him in a chair with a white towel, and even though I hadn't seen anything on the fleece or towels underneath in their cage, there was very obvious blood on the white towel when he peed a few minutes ago.

Started him on Bactrim; I don't think I should wait.

Poor little guy. Bladder trouble on top of everything else.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Oh, I'm sorry for the little guy too. I hope your vet is able to help.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:50 am

Poor Otis. I'm sending good thoughts for his appointment, and hoping that things go well.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:50 am

Thanks. It's 3-degrees outside. I am nervous about taking the boys out, but not sure our vet would be able to squeeze us in later today.

Going to go nuke the Snuggle Safe and stick it down under the fleece in the carrier.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:03 am

Fingers still crossed. I hope you all manage the cold ok.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:32 am

Idiot me accidentally left the car outside last night. Coldest night of the year so far, and I left the darn car out. Unreal.

Anyway, Otis has two things going on -- an infection under that polyp in his ear (and a second polyp that has formed underneath the first one), and a UTI. We didn't do an x-ray, but Dr. M didn't really see a lot of crystals and said she didn't really suspect a stone at this point. We're going to continue with the Bactrim and let her know on Friday if there isn't any improvement by then. His genitals are really swollen this morning. Poor little guy. :(

She did a gram stain on the pus from the ear, and said it was several different bacteria. We're treating that with Animax otic gel (and hopefully the ear will also benefit from the Bactrim). Animax sounds familiar, but I haven't had a chance yet to do a search for it here. ?

Dr. M said she wasn't sure if Otis would be a good candidate for polyp surgery or not. Since she's usually very confident about these things, I trust her judgment if she thinks we should just let it be for now. The key is keeping the area underneath the polyps clean. That was my fault; I was nervous about messing with it too much, and let it get dirty. She showed me how to get up under the polyp with a Q-tip (something tells me it's going to be a 2-person job).

Fingers crossed that the UTI clears up...there is no stone...and the polyp infection responds to the Animax.