Otis' Medical Thread (Polyp?)

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:49 am

I'm so sorry that you have another stone pig. Poor baby. I e-mailed you the information you requested about Rimadyl and Metacam.

I have not tried giving shilintong to Henry, so I don't know about the interactions.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:50 am

Thanks again, TWP.

Does anyone know how to dose B12? Otis is not too interested in pellets (will nibble a few, but not with any enthusiasm). I might try switching to another brand and see if it will stimulate his appetite. Also, supplementing with some oral B12.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:30 pm

Darn. Otis seemed to be doing better over the past couple of days -- blood in the urine was looking more dilute, less crying when eliminating, and generally in better spirits. This evening, though, he is in a lot of pain. I don't know what to do for him. I've given him another dose of Metacam (have upped it from .1cc once a day to .15cc twice a day), and I'm still giving him Shilintong and he's on the Actigall at .5cc once a day (bumping it back tomorrow, per vet's instructions), but tonight he is really crying and hunching. Could he be trying to pass the stone?

I feel so helpless at this point. :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm sorry Sef. I hate that helpless feeling.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:58 pm

Piggy ended up on Buprenex and boatloads of metacam. He had a steroid at some point (discontinued the metacam for 24 hours) and that helped, I think it was dex.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks. I picked up some Tramadol from our vet's colleague today...Dr. M was off today, and I had wanted her to do another x-ray to see what's going on with that stone. He is still passing urine, and there isn't any *visible* blood in the urine, but the crying is more frequent and he's hunching and straining when he urinates and defecates. I just don't like the looks of it.

He's on for 9:00 a.m. on Monday with our regular vet. In addition to re-evaluating the stone size and location, we're going to discuss the possibility of surgery. Dr. M expressed some concerns about Otis' ability to deal with recovery, but if she feels it's at least worth a try and if she's willing to work with us on the bill (we can't afford to pay it in one lump sum this time; hoping she might be open to us paying in installments), we'll go ahead and schedule surgery for later this week.

In the meantime, we're giving the Tram a try and also picked up some more butterfly sets in case I need to push fluids over the weekend. He doesn't seem to be drinking as much today. :(

ETA -- this is Otis:

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:36 pm

I'm sorry for all the problems Otis is having. He sure is a cutie.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:41 pm

Otis is gorgeous. I'm keeping him in my thoughts.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Many thanks.

I could use some help with Tramadol dosing. According to this source -
http://www.vasg.org/s_thru_u.htm

general dosing for Tram is 1-5mg/kg for dogs, and 1-2mg/kg for cats. I can't find any dosing information for rodents or rabbits.

The label on compound that Dr. J gave me today says:
.2cc orally every 8-12 hours. 50 mg in 10cc; 5 mg/cc.

If there are 5 milligrams in a full cc, that's .5mg per unit, right? He is prescribing this at .2cc's for Otis, who weighs 1 kg, so that would be .10mg. Right? Does that sound extremely low to anyone else?

Also, does anyone have any information on combining this drug with Metacam?

Thanks again.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:15 pm

Ok make sure I'm doing my math right because I'm getting a different answer from you.

50mg/10cc => 5mg/1cc => 0.5mg/0.1cc

Otis has been prescribed 0.2cc. 0.5mg in 0.1cc * 2@0.1cc = 1mg and since he's 1kg that's the lowball dose for cats which I find a reasonable starting point.

Basically 0.5*2 = 1.0, not 0.1 two halfs = 1 whole

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Oh good grief, I had my stupid decimal point in the wrong place. (And husband wonders why I make him balance the checkbook.)

Thanks, rshevin.

Not wanting to speak too soon, but Otis has seemed a little better this evening. He's munching hay and crying less frequently. Maybe the Tram is kicking in.
Last edited by Sef on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:25 pm

"Also, does anyone have any information on combining this drug with Metacam?"

According to Talishan's post, Tramadol can be used with NSAIDs:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 47#1390247