Any time he gets meds, he also gets a treat of some wet lettuce and a few fresh cranberries. He urinates almost immediately afterwards, so I have a good opportunity to look for blood on the papertowel and also gauge the amount of output. This time, he urinated with only a tiny bit of crying and zero hunching, and it looked to be a pretty good stream. Earlier, it was starting to look like just a few droplets at a time, there was obviously a lot of straining and discomfort with it, and I was getting a little worried about a blockage.
I know it's too much to hope that maybe he actually passed the stone (I changed out the cage earlier tonight and didn't see anything), but for now he certainly seems to be feeling a lot better.
I gave him Metacam this morning but not the Tram as he now seems to be having some motility issues. I know Sebastian and Zachary both had that problem on opiates; was really hoping we could avoid that w/ Otis, since the Tram seemed to work so well for him yesterday.
Morning is not off to a good start for the little guy.
Wondering if there is a better way to handle him. He won't go into a cuddle cup to be picked up...very skittish little guy, and fights me on just about everything (he's the first pig I've ever had that doesn't even like Metacam).
He has been relatively quiet this afternoon. Just a few little cries when eliminating, but nothing like before.
I was so hoping that he might have passed the stone, but my hunch is that it's just moving around to spots that either don't bother him as much, or bother him a lot. :(
Getting him to drink more would be helpful, too, since urine in the bladder kind of suspends the stone and reduces the rubbing and irritation. But that's also easier said than done.
Well, poops are back to normal this evening, but so is the straining, so I gave him .1cc of Tramadol (half a dose). We seem to be walking a very fine line between comfort/slow gut and discomfort/good poops.
At least his ear looks better now.
After discussing all of the pros and cons of the few options available to us, we have made the difficult decision to provide supportive care for as long as we can, and help him go when pain meds and subcues no longer help.
Dr. M wasn't very optimistic about surgery due to his age and a few other factors. She also felt that, based on how aggressive this stone is and the amount of sludge that has formed just in the past couple of weeks, the chances of more stones are pretty good.
Our vet has done an amazing job with our other guys, so I do trust her judgment (although she said she'd do the surgery if we want her to, she didn't really encourage it). I had just hoped that the news today would be a little more better.
Otis is having a bad evening; I gave him a subcue (didn't go all that well; I was tired and didn't get the jab right, and he bled quite a bit), and he has been crying and not very interested in any food. I'm going to handfeed this evening. Gave him another dose of Tramadol, but it hasn't kicked in.
This is bringing back some really sad memories of what we went through with Zachary. :(
Otis is crying a lot tonight. Add to this an awful day back at work today and a fight with husband this evening, and I'm just about ready to hop a plane to...pretty much anywhere.
I'm NOT going to let this drag on and on like we did with Zachary out of our own selfishness to keep him with us. If Otis doesn't seem better tomorrow, I'm going to ask Dr. M to go ahead and help him over the Bridge. It's just not fair to him to let him keep suffering like this.
I remember your agony with Zachary. You fought so hard for him. I support your decision with Otis and not making him suffer when there's no good outcome.
I'm also sorry for your day today. It doesn't help any.
- I GAVE, dammit!
I'm so sorry about Otis. Of course, we will support whatever decision you make for Otis. We all know how much you love your guys and how devoted you are to them.
Come on, Otis, feel better! Hugs to you, Sef.