Which AB for emaciated pig?

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:36 pm

Look at the URL, ding dong. It's from his website.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:43 pm

I know! Gosh, you have to ruin all the fun!

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:45 pm

What are you doing on GL anyway? I thought you had plans.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:47 pm

I do. Not until 4 now. Everything got ruined anyway. I emailed you.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:50 pm

Just got it. That's too bad. I hope he feels better soon.

I've been feeding Humphrey all this time and just finally got breakfast. Now I'm going to go do hay, veggies, and bathe bottoms. Have a good Easter Sunday.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:30 pm

Good news and not so good news.

Humphrey is a little perkier. I saw him groom himself briefly yesterday, and today, when he saw that I was doing veggies, he came out of his house and looked up at me. That's the first time I've seen him walk.

The bad news is, he walks funny. The daughter had been telling me that he "hops instead of walks" which normally I would associate with scurvy. However, in this pig's case, his diet of vegetables alone probably makes that unlikely.

And it wasn't a scurvy hop either. It was a very pronounced limp. So something else is wrong with this pig, which I knew was the case. Perhaps pain kept him from eating.

Whatever it is, these people will never pay for x rays. I just have to find a way to get them to surrender him to me. I spoke with the daughter this morning, and she said that her brother is very attached to the pig and doesn't want to give him up.

I'm afraid that, if they find out he has something else wrong with him, they might want to come get him and take him home rather than have me treat him further. But if it doesn't get treated, and it's the reason for his anorexia, then all of this will be for nothing because he will eventually wind up back in this condition.

I need ideas. How do I convince them to let go of this guy?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:40 pm

You've done a good job of working with them so far. I'm sure you'll think of something. Honesty is probably the best policy.

I feel sorry for this kid. It certainly isn't his fault his mother won't pay for x rays. Are you sure you can't convince her? You convicned her to pay for the other treatments. Maybe bring her son into it and how devasted he'll be if he loses the pig? I don't know.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:46 pm

I didn't convince her to pay for it. The daughter paid for half and had me lie to the mother about the cost. The daughter is also paying for the Baytril and Critical Care.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:49 pm

Oh crap.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:04 pm

Crap is right. Apparently the pig has always been gimpy, has always not eaten well (he is 1 year old now). They purchased him from a pet store that was later shut down. They say he was in a cage with some very large rabbits. Wonder if this is a broken bone that healed wrong?

At any rate, it would mean painkillers daily.

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:05 pm

If it is scurvy, the C in vegetables alone isn't enough. He needs 100mg/kg daily. He could have arthritis in which case NSAIDs is about all you can do.

If the son truly loves his pig he will want what's best for the pig - not what's best for him. Why can't he visit the pig?

It appears the kid's choice is to take the pig and watch it die for lack of treatment or surrender it to you so it can get the treatment it needs.

What if you convinced the kid to surrender and allowed him to foster the pig after you've nursed Humphrey to stability. That way you would have the right to step in and take the pig back if he reverts.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:07 pm

She'd have to get the mother on her side first. This could be a possibility.