Which AB for emaciated pig?

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:21 pm

I've just had brought to my house an adult boar weighing about 530 grams. He's dehydrated and it looks like he has a URI, diarrhea and possibly malocclusion (he's got a wierd overbite).

I'm taking him to the ER for SQ right now and then want to start him on AB. ER vet is not cavy-savvy. My vet will not be in until Thursday p.m. I have both Bactrim and Baytril but am unsure if the Baytril will be too much for him in his condition.

Any opinions on that?

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:19 am

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:49 am

Ah, I see. I'm just trying to keep him alive until the vet can see him on Thursday. I will start baytril, then.

The ER vet has no training with exotics. She did give him 20ml of LRS--why am I thinking it should have been more than that?

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:03 am

If you can, give him another 20mls thru a subcue. He's small. There is probably a limit to how much can be injected at one time.

You know the drill for Diarrhea, right? Poop from helathy pig, no fresh greens, Kaopectate. If it doesn't improve, you may have to try Flagyl. It could be parasitic in nature.

A steam vaporizer may help.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:17 am

The lungs sounded ok to the ER vet, but he does have eye and nose discharge.

Poops are coming out harder now after some CC and kao.

He's pretty weak, gums are pale, temp is 98.

I want to give him some Meloxi but mine is diluted ot .85mg/ml. Haven't the slightest idea how to transform the dosages I find on here (at 1.5 mg/ml). Billy Bob, at 1200g, gets .5cc daily. Maybe I'll just cut that in half.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:41 am

Yes, that would be in the ball park. Good luck with this guy. Let us know how he does.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:08 pm

Well, he has stopped pooping. I gave him some Reglan but nothing yet. He seems interested in Romaine but can't bring himself to eat--probably too weak.

His urine is red-tinged.

I tried to get in earlier at the vet but he can't see me until tomorrow night. We will probably go back to the ER for more SQ tonight.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:31 pm

Make sure you keep him warm. 98 F is low. Good luck. I'm hoping he recovers.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:48 pm

I hope he does okay. You have had the sickest rescues lately. Bless your heart.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:56 pm

This is terrible. It could have totally been prevented. These people need a good 'talking to'.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:07 pm

Thanks everyone. I am keeping him warm on a heating pad. He looks pretty sick.

If the ER vet has injectable Reglan tonight, how much should I tell her to give him? And how much LRS? I have gotten his weight up to 622g.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:24 pm

His temp is up to 101.1