Which AB for emaciated pig?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:23 pm

I think the mother has a control issue. If she isn't willing to surrender, reaching the kid will be impossible.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:24 pm

He's not a Satin. He's a Silkie. But still could have Ca deficiency, I guess.

"Feeling better" is relative. He took a few steps, that's all. He is still very weak. I really do think something else is going on, like organ damage from the starvation, or pain from some condition.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:16 pm

The eye is not getting any better. It is weeping, weeping, weeping, and forming a crust around his eye. The hair all around his eye is disappearing.

Should I flush the eye maybe? With water? Should I apply some atropine? Is that safe for infections? I have only used it for hay pokes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:19 pm

Do you have any opthamalic ointment? That ought to be safe.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:21 pm

Been using bnp for the past 3 days. One eye cleared up but the other seems to be worse.

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:52 pm

The eye problems could be related to the teeth or he could have something stuck in there that needs flushing out by a vet. I wouldn't attempt flushing an eye out n myself having seen the vet do it. I had a pig with a seed head from hay stuck in the back of the eye. Her eye was weeping for days despite ointments being applied. Finally the vet managed to get the seed head out. It was at least a cm in length and completely hidden from sight.

I'm not familiar with atropine.

Chloralean is a good eye drop safe for pigs.

The hair always disappears from constant contact with weeping eye fluid.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:41 pm

atropine opthalmic ointment numbs & dilates the eye in the case of ulcers. I use it on pigs with hay pokes because it dulls the pain and keeps them from rubbing it.

Thought it might not be a hay poke since both eyes were affected but I suppose it's possible.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:53 pm

Update--Humphrey has improved some. His eye is clearing up well now with the atropine and he looks more lively. His coat looks tons better and the sores on his feet are healing. His urine is clear, too.

He is hungry now, although he still doesn't like the mash (he has taken to head-butting my hand and trying to hide). He tried to eat some strawberry on his own but couldn't chew it. I am giving him pureed vegetables in his mash.

Tomorrow morning I will take him to Long Beach for teeth trimming, if he is strong enough. I think he is. Although he can't get over 680 grams--but how much weight can a pig gain on hand feeding anyway? He gets 20ml of mash and 12-15ml of pedialyte every 3 hours.

Cross your fingers for him tomorrow.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:00 pm

I'll be crossing them. Good job on getting him well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:18 am

Good news. I truly hope he recovers.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:53 pm

The vet just called. Humphrey came through ok. His teeth were badly overgrown on both sides--the vet said he trimmed all 4 quadrants. The jaw was stable. Dr. R thinks that Humphrey will be eating on his own by Monday or Tuesday. I'm going to pick him up now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:57 pm

Don't forget the pain meds.