Possibly pregnant and I need ADVICE...

Kamalia

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:26 pm

He died about half an hour ago...

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm so, so sorry the babies didn't survive. I hope mom is okay.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 pm

I'm so sorry about the babies. Keep a close eye on momma and weigh her to make sure she is eating ok.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:36 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry, Kamalia.

Feylin

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:17 pm

Oh dear, I'm so sorry.

I think it's a really good idea to take momma to a vet to be checked over. It's so hard to know what's wrong because pigs hide their symptoms.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:56 am

I'm terribly sorry that the little ones did not survive. It is so tragic.

I hope Spiderpig is doing well.

Kamalia

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks for all your kind comments. I was concerned about mum as,although she was eating, she just didn't seem right. Just got back from the vets and it turns out she has an abscess on her off hind leg. The vet said that this could have been causing her such pain that the birth sort of 'tipped her over the edge' so she killed her babies (but that I got to her before she killed the last one). I feel sad that this may have been the case as it could've been prevented had I been there when she went in to labour.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:18 am

I don't think she killed her babies. Something was wrong with them from birth. The one that survived for a while was never as active as he should have been. It is highly unusual for cavies to kill their young. You may need to search or a more knowledgeable vet.

Suisan

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:22 am

I really doubt that she killed her babies. A sick mother doesn't usually give birth to very healthy babies.

I'm so sorry that you lost them. Take care of mom and take care of yourself.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:33 am

I suspect your vet is confusing Guinea Pigs with other species when he/she says your mom killed her babies. I don't know of anyone here who ever had a GP mom do her babies in.

The problem lay with the health of the babies not mom.

Kamalia

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:38 pm

Here is a photo of the little one shortly before he died. Does he look normal size? I am 5'4" and don't have huge hands.

Kamalia

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:15 pm

I got up during the night to check on mum and she was not looking good. Not moving at all and her breathing had become very laboured. Called the vets and they told me to bring her in. He gave her something to try and pick her up but wasn't hopeful. I brought her home and she died on my lap about 5 mins ago. This is such a sad end to what should have been a happy time...